Monday, January 9, 2012

Memory Lane

Although you'll find our house a mess,

Come and sit down and converse.

It doesn't always looks like this,

Some days it's even worse.


I was thinking of this little poem the other night. It was on a little plaque my grandmother had hanging beside her kitchen sink for as long as I can remember. In the hours (catch that? HOURS) just before sleep odd things pop into my head. Wonder what happened to that thing? My mother doesn't have it up and she's now living in my grandmother's old house. I would imagine it got tossed, as I can concretely remember a large chip out of the border. I suppose these little plaques and samplers were the vinyl lettering of yesteryear.


What odd little item can you remember from your grandmother's home? Do you recall some little poem or saying she had cross stitched on the wall? Is there some common little thing that always reminds you of your grandma?

2 comments:

Mom to Mine said...

My grandma has lots of old cookbooks and I mean OLD lol I love looking through them but have to ask her what some of the measurements and ingredients are cause back in the 30s, they wrote a bit different!

Winnie said...

Those old cookbooks are fun. Do they start out with " Build a roaring fire" or have directions like "put it the back of the stove"?

I have a couple that aren't that old but call for lots of shortening and then say to melt butter, chocolate and the like in double boilers where everybody just pops stuff in the microwave now.