Sunday, January 15, 2012

A Busy Weekend for Sonny Boy

It was a big weekend for Sonny Boy. When I look back at it I'm amazed by how much stuff got crammed into two days and we didn't really go bonkers.

Saturday began early, if not necessarily bright, to get Sonny Boy off to his very first wrestling tournament. Hubby had done all the sign up stuff, registered him and then realized the tournament was at just over an hour drive away, not to bad when you don't have to arrive at 7:30 A.M. UG. Anyway we rolled out of bed and I managed to get myself dressed despite a raging headache I was in denial about. Grabbed a giant mug of coffee and out the door we went. About 15 minutes before we arrived I could no longer deny the headache and took some of my migraine meds in the hopes of salvaging the day. We get to the high school where the tournament was being held and Hubby and Sonny Boy went in to weigh in and make their presence known. I crawled in the back of the van, rolled out my emergency sleeping bag and told Igor to not press any buttons. Hubby wasn't too long and he took the worlds most potholed road (trust me every bump is felt when you are on an unpadded van floor) and we went to a local restaurant he'd heard about for breakfast. Luckily by now the meds were starting to kick in and I became human. Yay for the makers of Relpax who saved the day. We went back to the high school and figured out the ins and outs cause we are all new to this. Did I mention that all of Sonny Boy's wrestling coaches were involved with the middle school kids and were not available? Yeah, flying by the seat of our pants. Anyhow we figure out the program, get Sonny Boy where he needed to be and Lo and Behold he won 2nd place!

Pretty good for a kid in his very first wrestling tournament. The kid that won while not older or bigger had a few years of experience under his belt and Sonny Boy gave him a run for his money before he got pinned. Sonny boy did pin the other two boys he wrestled quite easily, but like him they were still very green wrestlers. I don't have any pictures of the actual match as I was too busy running the camcorder. Watching the tape it was apparent Sonny Boy was having a blast while wrestling the first kid (the one that beat him) as he is smiling ear to ear. I now have fliers to print up and take care of the registration for him at three more tournaments in the next few weeks.

Sunday dawned and we slept in. I had told Sonny Boy that we needed to work on his Cub Scout stuff and we have be neglectful of getting the requirements done. One of the requirements is that he build "something useful". Since one of the electives is also to put up a birdhouse and I found a birdhouse kit at Wal-Mart, there ya go.



Turned out pretty cute. However the screws that hold it together won't counter sink at all, they simply strip. Oh well, what can one expect for $8.00? We also sat down and went through several of the requirements in his handbook as well. Probably not the most ideal way to tackle the stuff in the handbook, but one must do as one must do.


The boys then put on their snow gear and spent HOURS outside playing in the snow. It was grand. Even though there is salt tracked in and wet mittens drying on the kitchen radiator it is so nice to send them out and they find something to do for more than 10 minutes that doesn't lead to injury or fisticuffs. I know I'll be complaining in March, but for now BRING ON THE SNOW!!





1 comment:

Lin said...

Oh WOW! He did GREAT in the wrestling tournament! :) Worth the trip.

Don't you love the snow, cold, and fresh air? My kids would be out there for hours making forts and sledding. And the best part--all that fresh air made them sleep well. Bring on the snow!