Thursday, January 12, 2012

Finally, Snow.

Today is the first real snowfall of the season. We are only predicted to get 3-6 inches total. It's been snowing since about noon and we have about half an inch. The boys are excited and are out playing in the barely grass covering snow. I hope they wear themselves flat out. Igor is grounded from TV and Wii today due to some nasty behavior at Sonny Boy's wrestling practice last night, so it's been a pretty long day and will be a long evening.

Hubby is out of town for work, he left Tuesday morning and was due home by now. I called him Tuesday night and told him the forcasted snow totals and advised him to reschedule his flight home and he said he'd see. I called him yesterday afternoon and asked him about getting a flight out. He had ended up goofing around all day in the Houston TX area and it was too late to catch the last flight out to Dallas. "I'll just take my scheduled flight out, it's not a big storm." Famous last words. He flew to Dallas this a.m. sent me a message at noon that his flight out of Dallas was cancelled and the next flight he could get on was at 5:00 something. As of a couple of hours ago that flight was listed as "Delayed". I told him he needed to go reserve a hotel room so he isn't sleeping on the airport floor tonight and he has poo poo'ed that idea as well. I guess we'll see how that plays out. The thing that gets me is he's pulled this same stunt before but driving. Last winter he thought he could outrun the same snow storm that collapsed the metro dome in Minneapolis. He ended up just barely getting a motel room in western WI after 10 hours of white knuckled driving and not making any real distance. I don't know why he so totally dismisses the idea of working around the snow. Yes, I will totally agree things are handled much better here in the north in terms of snow clean up and it's not near as paralyzing as 3 inches of snow in Arkansas. It does however make the roads slick and difficult to drive, the airport runs a standard delay and frankly it's just wiser to avoid the roads if you can until the plows have a chance to run and catch up. I suppose it's a man thing. Not macho to watch the weather or something. I just got a text his flight is delayed 1.5 hours. Hope he likes Dallas Fort Worth airport.

I think it quite funny though, we still have several more hours of snow yet. The plows have not run down our street, yet the guy across the street is out running his snow blower, and a neighbor two doors down came shoveling down the sidewalk - she stopped at my property. This isn't one of those giant storms where shoveling in the middle of it is going to save you a lot of backache in the end. I guess people are just excited. I'll likely get out the snow thrower around 8:00 or so tonight. Hopefully the plows will have already made one pass and I can get the snow berm too.

The first snow of the year is fun though. It's so quiet. Traffic on our street drops to hardly anything. Only the distant sounds of kids playing on the sledding hill and my own screeching on the lawn.

No comments: