Thursday, February 2, 2012

The To Do List is Whittling Down.

Thank Goodness. I finished the Cub Scout cake late yesterday. A day ahead of schedule which is grand as things have gotten so bad around here the kids were actually asking me to do laundry.
The cake is far from being perfect, but I'm pleased with it. I have a very hard time getting butter cream REALLY smooth and I think that's what bothers me the most when I look at the cake. I also wish I'd taken more time with the layout of the scout promise on the bottom tier as it's not quite lined up like I wish. However I did my best, so that's good enough, especially when they are getting a very large cake for free.

I have also finally finished gathering the awards for the banquet. It has been such a task this time as stuff has been back ordered and screwed up like you wouldn't believe. As of right this minute I've done my prep for the banquet, I simply have to deliver the cake and show up. I know I'll likely spend some time setting up tomorrow as well, but maybe not.



We have a visitor in the house this week. "Spike" comes home from preschool for a few days and we record his activities in a little journal to be shared with the class. When Spike came home with Sonny Boy a few years ago, it was simply "write a little paragraph" kind of thing. Of course that has morphed into the realm of super parents who now take pictures and print them off to put in a little photo album. These aren't just printed on the printer either, they have like ran to Wal-Mart. Sorry, ain't gonna do that. I did snap a picture or three and printed them on standard paper and we cut them out for the book. That's the end. I don't get to wound up with the preschool stuff because I have now gotten wiser in my parenting. I have figured out that the boys do not remember this stuff for more than a few weeks. Igor is basically doing the exact same things that Sonny Boy did in preschool. Sonny Boy doesn't recall any of these activities. The $15 field trips - Nada, the Valentine parties - Nada, now I'll give you Igor does seem to retain more than Sonny Boy (Sonny Boy is too busy to remember details) but honestly I doubt he's really going to recall how much time and energy is spent printing pictures of him with the class stuffed dinosaur.

I get this is a totally lame post, but I bet you read it to the end hoping for something better.
Winnie

3 comments:

Diana of Diana Rambles said...

AMAZING cake! Great job!

Lin said...

I think I would have recorded Spike just enjoying a quiet night with your family--eating a home-cooked meal, relaxing on the couch, reading a bit before bed, all before being tucked-in. Even dinosaurs get tired of all that running around and just need some down time.

I'll bet that would be the BEST part of that whole darn book. All those parents trying to out-do each other....sheesh.

Lin said...

Oh, and the CAKE???! WOW! That was incredible!