Tuesday, February 7, 2012

NOT a Coffin

But it may well become mine. It's an antique underbed storage box, has ball bearing wheels under it and all. We found two of these in our garage attic when we moved in. I don't know if they were left by the previous owners who had more junk antiques than the normal thirty-something couple or if they have been lingering in the house for many years. They are quite old, at least from the turn of the century (the 1900 turn) This is the one that is in better shape and that isn't good. The other we are simply going to salvage any hardware off of it and toss as the top is broken and missing on it. This one is drying after a scrubbing with bleachy water and a good dose of Fabreeze.

You may wonder why I (we) suddenly have the urge to rehab stuff we've had for 8+ years and have never had a legitimate use for. Well here's the kicker, Mom is moving in. I think I just had a heart palpitation typing that sentence. Mom will move into our guest room which does not have adequate clothing storage so I purchase some flower pots bed risers so this will fit under the bed. Mom may need to use a step stool to get in the bed, but she'll have somewhere to put her underwear. None of us are truly excited for this step. I guess that puts Hubby and I squarely in the sandwich generation - though I think we are technically 15 years too young for that. Mom lives (not much longer) down in Arkansas and was working for the city in the small town I grew up in. Mom and the mayor who was elected in January '11 did not get along and to make a very long and convoluted story short, she got mad and quit her job. Quit her job in this economy. Quit her job in such an economically depressed area that over 35% of the population lives below the poverty line. Quit her job two years short of drawing social security. Quit her job when she needs health insurance more than she actually needs a pay check. I could choke her. She quit her job back in September or October and has been living on a meager savings since. Unemployment was denied but she is supposed to have a hearing on Thursday but honestly I doubt that will go very far. Anyhow in an effort to get her out of the dump I grew up in, in an effort to at least give her a fair chance of landing any job, she's moving in. It also comes down to the fact she will have no utility bills, no food bills and access to a computer and internet (for some reason she seems unable or unwilling to use the public library) I also plan into whipping her lazy ass into reasonable shape. Too many years of sitting, no walking, no exercise and frankly she's useless. She can't walk 100 yards without having to rest, of course that limits her job opportunities as well. I think I may lose the van keys for a few weeks and we will have to walk to drop the boys off at school and preschool, go to the library and anything other errand that is on this side of town. I'm not a gung ho exercise person myself but honestly I can function where she no longer can. I do not expect her to suddenly pump iron and be Jane Fonda but she can certainly function on a better level.

I'm not jumping for joy, I'm not even amused. The only up-side I can see to this whole debacle is that we will have a baby sitter and Hubby and I can go be adults occasionally without having to pay a sitter. I see myself spending large amounts of time camping this summer. Wish me luck.











4 comments:

Hot Rocks said...

Oh, dear...I DO wish you luck! That will take some adjusting on everybodys part. Thanks for visiting my blog, I am glad to have found yours!

shaantio said...

Oh Wow! Heart palpitations is right! I'm wishing you the best...

Lin said...

Oh, man.

Well....(I'm looking for the positive here...)...uh.....it will be nice to have all that time with her again (?). Uh....it will be nice for the kids to get to know their grammy (?). Uh....will she help with the bills? At all? Cooking? Cleaning? .....anything?

The next question.........do you drink?

(just kidding) :) You are a good daughter.

Winnie said...

Unfortunately I have the idea it's going be a lot like having a moody, lazy teenager around.

I do have a hand up on her as she doesn't know the parental block code on the TV so at least she won't be letting the kids watch questionable material.

Yeah, I drink, and I think I'll be drinking much more.