Monday, February 20, 2012

Something like having a third child...

Mom came in last Tues and settled in. For the most part it's gone pretty smoothly. Hubby I discussed last week that with Mom job hunting she really would need her own computer and we bit the bullet and purchased ourselves a new laptop. Nothing fancy, just a basic laptop, slightly more than a netbook. Needless to say the swap over of computer has had me digitally tied up for a few days.

The laryngitis I thought I had last post blew up into a full case of bronchitis. Nice (insert sarcasm) I've never had bronchitis before and don't care if I ever do again. Nothing like coughing till your sternum hurts like you've been punched in the breadbox. Seven days after going to the doctor I'm still rather full of mucous but at least I'm no longer coughing uncontrollably. Both Hubby and Sonny Boy seemed to come down with the same stuff as well. Hubby was starting to show early symptoms when I went to the doctor and she told me to have him either take a stash of Cipro I had or to call her and she'd phone in a Rx for him. Hubby opted for the on hand drug and seemed to avoid the worst of the plague. Sonny Boy was a few days later developing the crud and he was taken in to the walk-in clinic on Saturday morning and given antibiotics too, he seems to be on the mend quickly as well. I think I'm the one it knocked down the most. Igor hasn't even had a sniffle. I suppose it's some of that orphanage immunity kicking in, or possibly just dumb luck.

I have also been helping Mom google, set up an Amazon account so she can download the freebies to her Kindle. Checked out a couple of library books for her, and have bullied her into some form of exercise daily. Last week we walked to picked Sonny Boy up at school a couple of days and today I found a very beginner exercise video "on demand" and made her do it. She's threatening that I'm a drill Sargent, however I don't think 20 min or so of movement a day has really ever killed someone. Honestly I've never seen a person so out of shape under the age of 80. She did the Wii fitness test thingy and it said she was 84 and honestly that's about right. Her real age is 60. I think what drives me the most insane is her ability to perform basic tasks because she is simply so out of shape. Don't misunderstand, Mom is not overweight, in fact she could probably stand to gain a few pounds. She simply lost so much strength when she had her stroke years ago and never really worked to gain it back. Once she got on a semi-functioning level she quit and now cannot even walk a block or climb a flight of stairs much less lift anything more than about 10 lbs. Her hand strength also went kaput as well so I need to talk with my OT sister-in-law and see what she recommends to build that up, she's so weak in her hands she couldn't open the lid on the gallon milk jug the other day. Well enough of that grousing.

Sonny Boy had his last wrestling tournament on Sunday. What a fiasco, we will not go back to that tournament again, it was very poorly ran. Unfortunately Sonny Boy didn't do so well this trip and ended up in 4th place -out of four kids. He was rather upset yesterday but is game for more and saying today he wanted to do another tournament. We are not, but I'm glad it didn't kill the spirit for the sport. In all fairness two of the three matches could just as easily been his. One was tied at the end and the ref called next take down wins. The boys grappled and Sonny Boy lost the point, however even non-competing spectators were questioning the call along with the coach but what do you do, sometimes there are bad calls. The last match of the day was a kid who had pinned him two weeks ago, the same kid who has done something like 12 tournaments this school year. Sonny Boy was doing wonderfully, scored several points on the kid but the opponent is a one trick pony with a cradle hold and is very good at it and down went Sonny Boy. It's hard for him to see how well he was really doing, he just sees the loss. The club coach talked to him though and told him he sees potential and he looks forward to him coming back to the wrestling club next year.

What can I say about Igor? Well he's going through a spell and we all hope it passes soon. He's very needy of attention from everyone and is constantly in all of our faces. Honestly, I think he's bored to tears here all day and really needs to be in school. He really likes going to pre-school and is doing well there. I also think the the addition of Mom to the household hasn't helped a whole lot coupled with the extra attention Sonny Boy has received due to wrestling. Experience tells me it's a phase; though not a pleasant one.

Hubby is traveling again for work, this stint for three week. Yikes! Hubby left the wrestling match and directly to the airport yesterday after the last bout. Mom and I went and got his car out of parking today, not that I care a whole lot if corporate pays three weeks of parking, I just don't think three weeks of parking at the airport is wise. Hubby had a heck of a travel day yesterday with a flight cancellation, being bussed down to O'Hare, no chance to eat and a crazy rental car fiasco. I think I'd opt to drive back after all that.

Well, I guess that's all the news here. Needless to say I'm ready to drop by the end of the day. Sonny Boy is donning PJ's, and I'm about to prop up in bed and read/ watch TV until I unwind and can fall asleep. I hope to get back to my regular blog posting in a few days.

No comments: