Friday, March 2, 2012

Staying busy

My newest sport lately has been surfing around on Pinterest. GAWD what an utter waste of time, but there are some good ideas and occasionally I get a chuckle from some of the stuff. One of the good ideas was to make your own frozen burritos. This I actually did.

I kind of made up my own recipe along with a recipe from Martha Stewart and came up with my own three bean and rice filling. Turned out pretty well. We ate burritos for supper that night and I promptly ran out of tortillas, however today I picked up some more, stuffed and wrapped and ended up with a dozen or so for the freezer. I doubt they are any cheaper than the store bought ones (haven't purchased one of those in years) but I'm pretty sure they will taste better and be less processed.

I've also become very shopping savvy with the groceries lately. I'm sure if you do the grocery shopping you've notice how danged expensive food has gotten. I'm becoming quite the pack rat and load up on stuff when there is a good sale. Right now the pantry looks like I expect to never buy cold cereal again as we have like 8 boxes or something stupid, but as long as they don't get opened they have a crazy long shelf life. Don't worry I don't think I'll turn into one of those coupon clipping crazies that have 42 bottle of ketchup, BUT I might buy three or four if the price is good. Adding another mouth to feed to the household one needs to be prudent.

Of course gas prices are on the rise again. Just when camping season is around the corner. Geez, I fear my camping plans will be curtailed severely at $4.00 a gallon gas. yuck.

Right now we are getting hammered with a snow storm. Not windy but I bet it's snowed about three inches in the last 2 1/2 hours. Bad luck I promised Igor to go out and eat Chinese food tonight and of course he hasn't forgotten. So right now Mom and I are debating it. The China Buffet is just here in town so it's not like we have to go miles. I'm really sick of cooking as well so it's a toss up. However we live on the top of a hill and if the plows don't run before we need to come back up the hill it could be a bit of a problem particularly with the snow coming down as hard as it is.

Well I guess that's it. Life in the fast lane - or maybe the curb if we go slip sliding out to eat tonight.

No comments: