Tuesday, March 20, 2012

ER's, IEP's, IRS, SMO's and assorted other acronyms

The Sunday after the last post mom woke up with some female complaints that are not typical for a woman of her years. Not really knowing what else to do we went to the emergency room. The ER determined she wasn't in dire danger and sent her home with orders to see an OB/GYN the next day. She did. Test were ran. Nothing showed up except for a urinary tract infection that was caught by the ER lab work. A round of Cipro later and she's back to her normal couch potato ways. Mind you all this is with no health insurance, though I have found a couple of programs through the local clinic/hospital and United Way that help people with no insurance so hopefully the bills will be manageable. The joy of small town was that we had the same nurse and the same volunteer lady was working in the lobby as when Igor busted his lip. Cripes, bet they wonder what I'm doing to my family.
Today I met with about half the staff of the elementary school for Igor's IEP. He was declassified at "Severely Developmentally Delayed" and put on "Significant Visual Impairment". Basically it all means all the orphanage delays have been wiped out and we are simply looking at ways to make sure his poor vision doesn't impact him negatively in the educational setting. Evidently this is a rather unusual label as it had lots of questions of what and how to things floating around. While it's never grand to have a kid with an IEP, I'd rather he have that than a 504 as it will give him more support as it's needed.
I spent half an hour the other day on the phone with the IRS. It seems Mom's old job back in AR deducted too much Fica from her paycheck - to the tune of $400 or so dollars and is refusing to pay it back. Nice huh? Finally got hold of somebody who is supposed to be sending letters to all involved but it's been a little while and we've not heard back.
Igor went to the orthopedic doc last week and his SMO's are now being cut down to a smaller foot version. I took him today to the orthotist to have his feet molded. These new orthotics should fit mostly inside his shoe, which will be nice as they will hopefully stay much cleaner.
Sonny Boy got a note home from school the other day for socializing during class. A good talking to and four days removal of T.V. and Wii and I hope that should be the end of it. Yesterday it seems his partner in crime at school got in big trouble and Sonny Boy wisely stayed clear.
The dishwasher went kaput. I hate hand washing dishes. Hubby currently has it dragged out and into several pieces in an effort to salvage it. It's not a very old machine, nor was it a cheap one, but it's been giving us fits. I priced a new one today while in town and OUCH, not really a purchase we wish to make right now. I know a dishwasher is technically a luxury, but really who wants to hand wash dishes for five people daily?
I've been so stinkin' busy lately my attempt at actually "doing something" with the blog besides a abbreviated journal has gone downhill. I sometimes think of witty things I can write about, but of course I'm never in a place I can actually write them. I believe I'm only posting in an effort to keep spammers away.

1 comment:

Lin said...

Sounds like you need to get some of those other people you live with to help with at least the dinner dishes! Or get the dog to do a "prewash" for ya! Hahaha!