Thursday, March 8, 2012

It spreads....

Mom went down tonight. We ate supper and Mom was moving around the kitchen, picking up dishes and she got very light headed and weak and started shaking. I made her sit at the table and after a min or two she wasn't any better. Mom decided to take her blood pressure as she's had these spells before. We take her blood pressure and discover it's pretty high. I have her lie down in bed and in her stash of stuff I find a blood sugar tester that a pharmacist made her buy after fainting in the grocery store (didn't know anything about that episode) I prick her finger to her dismay, but her blood sugar was in a normal range. By this time Mom is shivering something fierce and I remember back to the days of her long hospitalization in '99 that just before she spikes a fever she gets chills terribly so I dose her up with a couple of Tylenol despite the fact she has no fever. We take her blood pressure again and while it is still high it is starting to drop. I leave her to rest for a while and she dozes off. I check on her in hour or so and she is feeling much better, no chills and the blood pressure is down to normal. I get her Kindle and she's happily reading away in bed. After a while she decides to go outside and smoke, as she's coming back in she starts retching. I grab the puke bucket I had commandeered from Igor's room and get it to her and put a chair behind her as she's weak from the puking, you know how that goes.

So now she's fallen to Igor's stomach virus. I was hoping he had an isolated, non transmittable case but it doesn't appear that way. Just lovely (sarcasm insert here) I'm about 24 hours until Hubby gets home from his trip and it looks as if the adults are going to fall. I pray I have some Mommy immunity somewhere as all hell will break lose if I go down before Hubby gets home. Not to mention I have committed to working at a wrestling tournament on Saturday.

The worst part is I'm feeling nauseous, but I don't know If I'm really sick or just grossed out from witnessing an adult barf. It's a different thing than your kids you know.

Currently I have mom set up with a tv table beside the bed (there is no bedside table there) with buckets, washcloths, watered gatorade and her phone so if she needs me in the night she can call me if I don't hear her. Hopefully for her she'll sleep through the worst of the bug as Igor's only seemed to last about 12 hours.

If I don't fall with the pukes tomorrow I'll start the bleaching and washing nightmare in hopes of stopping this stuff from going further but I worry it may be too late. Anybody want to come over and help?

1 comment:

Lin said...

Aw, gees. It's bad enough when the kids are puking....but your MOM?? Ugh. Dang, you are a good woman for taking such good care of her.

I have my fingers crossed that you don't get it, my friend. If you do, let someone else clean up your mess! ;)