Friday, May 6, 2011

Spring Where Art Thou?

Spring might finally be sticking her head out a little but I'm not overly sure. Today seems like spring, it's a little warmer, the maple trees have tiny little leaves on them and that ucky stuff some botany obsessed person would call a flower. I don't think she has fully committed to coming and joining us yet. Only yesterday I was shivering in a brisk breeze standing around with people who were still donning winter hats and gloves. She is a fickle little priss.

We will soon start the major end of the house work next week and things are starting to shape up. The contractor had a large dumpster delivered and parked in the front driveway yesterday, he showed up this morning early to supervise the delivery of the shingles and tells us he plans to start middle of next week. That start date means Hubby will be busy cutting wholes in the ceiling and installing the inside parts of the tube skylight we are installing in the hallway upstairs and putting in a vent fan in the bathroom so it can be ducted outside as well. Next week will be loud.

This morning I attended Igor's IEP meeting for next year. All is well, they will re-evaluate him in the fall to make sure he's still progressing as he should but if there are no changes and he still tests appropriately he'll only be seen once a month or so by the physical therapist and the early childhood special ed teacher. Basically they will just be doing checks to make sure he doesn't fall behind as he's testing right in the normal range for everything which of course is wonderful news. I'll fight to keep them on consult for a while though as I think we might have some more school issues faced as he gets older and I suspect many of those issues will arise with his poor vision.

Next week I'll be driving south to meet up with my mother and possibly my uncle for a little get-away at the cabins Hubby and I went to last year. This is my "hunting trip" as Hubby has a duck hunting trip planned in the fall. I hope the weather cooperates as the trip will be kind of a bummer if weather isn't at least tolerable.

Yesterday was the annual petting farm trip of the pre-school. Igor had tons of fun. I was very impressed as he participated in all the activities petting different animals and even kind of milking a real cow. This is coming from a kid who acts fearful of the mildest of dogs and cats. Hopefully he's starting to overcome these fears.

I'm in the process of wheedling Hubby into letting me get a dog and/or a camper trailer. I found a program with a breeder of a poodle cross that would allow me to get the dog for only basic cost associated with any dog. The breeder would then take the dog and breed her a few times and keep her with the pups when born for a few weeks. After the dog has had a few litters of puppies the dog would be fixed and turned over to me. Hubby isn't wild about the idea. My other scheme is to buy a small camper. I like camping but I can't really go without another adult along as the boys are really getting too old to go into the ladies room with me and that makes a shower in campground (for me) impossible. I'd also feel safer with a little bit more between me and some nutcase than a piece of nylon tent. Campers can be had for pretty cheap, there are some really nice ones if you have a big enough vehicle to tow it with, however towing with a mini-van limits the options considerably but there are things out there, just talking Hubby into the idea is difficult.

Sonny Boy's baseball games start this weekend. Yay (can you hear the sarcasm) I'm really hoping he decides he doesn't like baseball that much and doesn't want to play next year. Honestly I didn't realize the time commitment involved as they take things a little too seriously here. Oh well, live and learn.

That's all there is for now, must get back to doing a few chores and quit slacking off so much.

No comments: