Thursday, April 29, 2010

Disaster

Ever worked on something for an extreme amount of time, put lots of effort into it and it turns out terrible. Well that's what happened today. I spent about six hours on this cake. Granted this is a practice cake and will not leave the house but I am very disappointed in it.

My fondant is lumpy and bumpy, creased, actually tore in places, the bow is not good, and the little flowers I thought were whimsical are just sort of sad.

I do know where I screwed up though, the cake was too soft, I used a devils food cake mix, I wasn't even able to frost the cake without it tearing hence the bumpy fondant. I also shouldn't have wrapped the fondant under the upper layer but I couldn't really pick it up it was so fragile. UGH, should have quit when I realized the cake was too fragile but I forged ahead. Just a disaster - at least I learned a few things not to do. Oh well that's why it's a practice cake and thank goodness it's small - only a 13 x 9 cake cut up. The worse part was the major mess it made of the kitchen.


Igor is totally testing my patience this last week. He has hit three years old with a vengeance. The kid whose nickname could have been "Mr. Mellow" has now turned into "Little Brat" and I don't mean brother! ( Brat mean brother in Russian if you didn't know) I have a hunch it has something to do with something happening at school. I've talked to his teacher and she hasn't seen anything out of the ordinary with him. I've tried to talk to Igor about things happening at school and the only thing he tells me is that A called him a "pumpkin". A is a pretty high strung kid so I'm wondering if more is really going on than Igor has the language skills to tell me about. Most of the bad behavior seems to happen right after school and then he'll settle down and be his normal self. Thankfully there is only about three more weeks of school left, hopefully if it's school related he will settle down.


The school district here has faced severe budget cuts this year and has decided to eliminate their Pre-K program next year, but they still haven't decided on just how they are going to handle IEP's. The difficult part is there are few options for pre-school here in Kornfield, only two small church based schools and neither are of denomination that we are comfortable with. Speaking with one mother of the pre-K crowd she has signed her son up already in one of the pre-schools but doesn't just how things will work. The school district is really leaving us hanging.


Well I suppose that's all. Look for my latest creation on that Cake Wrecks website.

1 comment:

junglemama said...

I think it turned out great! Good job-- much better than mine turned out.