Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Busy doing a whole lot of Nothing

The last few days have been pretty busy, but I couldn't really tell you just what we've all been doing. Hubby has been working massive hours so he's really just a person who wanders in, eats, showers, sleeps and leaves again. The kids had a whole two weeks of school without a holiday or an early release, SHOCK. They seem to get out of school constantly here. I don't know if it's that way in the rest of the world but I know holidays and early release were pretty rare when I was a kid.
Yesterday was yet another holiday, Casimir Pulaski Day, it appears he's a Polish Revolutionary War Hero? Who knew but evidently Illinois thinks he's worth a holiday for. Since the kids were out of school and St. Louis schools were in session I thought it a good day to take advantage of some kid activities in the city. I wanted to go the Magic House as that is the children's museum in St. Louis but alas it is closed on Mondays. So we settled for the Missouri History Museum and a trip to the St. Louis Science Center. All nice facilities but the Science center is much more interactive and kid friendly. Sonny Boy did like the history museum, Igor not so much when you can really monkey all over everything.
Sonny Boy at the Science Center Discovery Room

Sonny Boy and Igor in the 1904 World's Fair Exhibit, how would you like to wear those get-ups to the fair?

Igor and Sonny Boy at the Science Center Discovery Room - is this politically incorrect?
A couple of things I have learned through trial and error, and some here in there when going out for an outing with the kids. 1) Dress them in the same bright color, makes them much easier to pick out in a crowd of kids 2) Write your cell phone number is sharpie on their arm or stomach in case they are separated from you. Hopefully, they'll remember it's there and can ask someone to call you and tell you where they are. I saw this tip and thought it wise for anywhere you might become separated from your children.
I've also been busy decorating a cake. I took this over to Hubby's co-worker's house Sat and we sat around and visited while Sonny Boy played WAY too much DS and Igor watched too many cartoons.
Rose detail of cake, hand modeled roses out of gum paste


The entire cake, the cake was strawberry, hence the pink theme.
I'm not entirely pleased with this cake. I could not get the icing smooth no matter what I tried so it's lumpy and bumpy, there's also some visible cake crumbs as well. I guess that smooth icing will come with practice. The hearts on the side were a last minute idea, Hubby did not like them and though it would have been better off without them.
Honestly what is your opinion of the cake. I'd really like your honest constructive criticism on this both design wise or anything else. I'm thinking I may start this up a little side job someday, hence the need to practice. What would you think is a fair price for this cake?





No comments: