Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Books to Read

I'm a reader, a fanatical over the top reader. I read on average 2 books a week, a magazine here and there, newspapers when I happen upon them etc. I love the ability to curl up on the sofa and enter another world, a world where I know people's thoughts (because they are right there on the page) Hence the longing for the afore mentioned Kindle that Santa did not deliver.

Anyhow one of my favorite books, or series of books rather is the OUTLANDER series by Diana Gabaldon. The series has been ongoing for 15 years or so, the books come out every three to four years. I discovered the series when Hubby and I first married at the libary and had the luxury or reading straight through the first 3 books one after another, after that I was reduced to the drudgery of waiting on the next book to be published. I was excited when out Christmas shopping to discover the newest book was out and snatched it up like the crazy lady buying pajamas on black Friday. Merry Christmas to me, didn't even wait on it to make it to the library, not that it ever would here in Kornfield, the only thing the library here seems to purchase is large print editions of Christian novels. Anyhow I digress, finishing the book and longing for the next one - #8 - I went on line to see when it would be published, not even an estimated date from the author's site so likely it will be years. In the meantime I thought I would start my own collection of the books. Quite frankly I rarely buy books as they are expensive and I don't re-read the things. However this is just about my favorite books, it's been 10+ years since I read the first one and quite honestly the last one had me lost a lot because I couldn't remember many of the details from the first six books. So tonight I got my happy self on E-bay and bidded on the first two books of the series, I'll likely land them for $5 each which is a pretty good score, unfortunately they are not hardcovers but I'm not really looking for collector pieces just copies of a fun set of books to read. Anyhow if you like historical romance, mixed with a tiny bit of science fiction, action and interesting charachters head down to the library and check out the first of the series - it's OUTLANDER. Make sure to start with that one or you'll be a little lost, and if you like that one there are six more books in the same vein to entertain you. For what it's worth I'm not one of the crazy fans on the numerous sites devoted to these books or else I would have known this latest book came out in September. Also found it interesting that a movie may be made from the first book, I can't imagine it as it's a regular tome, quite lengthy and full of detail, however I suppose I'd be the first one in line when it opens though I doubt I'd dress up like a charachter from the book.

The last couple of days have been rough. I've battled a rough migraine on both Monday and today. Thanks to the miracles of modern science I managed to fight my way through them without a trip to the ER, however the kids have been left somewhat to their own devices, especially today as I woke up with the monster. I think Sonny Boy would prefer I'm sick because I'm willing to let any electronic media go for hours if it keeps him entertained so he got to watch a lot of TV, play a lot of DS, play a lot of Wii today. Igor not being into any of those endevours simply just made a HUGE mess of toys and agravated his brother a lot while I lay on the couch and refereed the best I could the haze of the meds which leave me weak and sleepy. This evening I'm on better functioning plain, however the meds had me sleeping too much today and it's now midnight and I'm just starting to get a little groggy.

We are discussing driving up to WI this weekend to do a little winterizing work on the house up there. The heating bill came in today and at $175 bucks to keep it frigid but not frozen it's getting expensive so we are looking into draining the heating systems and pipes and running antifreeze through things. Not the most fun endevour, but heating a house we are not in isn't fun either. Happy new year huh?

Well I'm rambling again and I guess I should meander off to bed, the kids will be up early and I've got barn duty in the am, it's supposed to be downright cold and I'm not looking forward to corralling the kids while I work. Sonny Boy is quite the explorer and wanders all over the place when I'm not looking, makes me nervous, however he does seem to have enough sense to stay out from under horse hooves and he's met a downright nasty fellow there who is all about biting so he been taught the signs of when NOT to pet a horse. However I realized almost too late I'd never taught him about an electric fence. He didn't get zapped, but it would have happened in 5 more minutes had I not heard the fence cycling on and off.

1 comment:

Courtney said...

I too love the Outlander series. I started it in grad school but had to stop reading them as I spent so much time thinking about them I wasn't getting any work done! I read the first three and haven't picked up any since--I'm afraid of getting sucked back in again! LOL