Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Ponderings on Therapy

Today I decided I'm going to go full bore on getting Igor deeply immersed in speech therapy. I've been pondering pursuing this for a while, wondering if I'm just being pushy and inpatient for him to catch on, but it really hit me today when I realized that at the same age Sonny Boy was speaking in clear sentences understandable by anyone. Now I realize Sonny Boy is exceptional ( I think I may be a little biased?) but even other average 2 year olds have more vocabulary and word usage than Igor. So today I got on the horn called his speech therapist from early intervention and left a message, I'm going to bully at least one speech therapy session a week out of her, I called his pediatrician's office and found a therapy service in the next town over and started the process to get him going there - I still have to do a little leg work there but it's easily done tomorrow am. Hopefully if things work as I plan Igor will have three therapy sessions a week, one playgroup - kinda like pre-school, hits lots of areas which is very good for him, one speech session with EI and one with the private group. It will be lots of shuttling around but I think we are in a prime learning window with him and really need to take advantage of this. I have also made an appointment next week to have his hearing re-tested just in case.

To be honest the language delay being so prolonged has thrown me somewhat and I expected him to be speaking near age appropriate by now.

Friday we go back to Children's for another session with the feeding therapist. Things were going so well but then we started backsliding again. I had actually pondered the idea of cancelling the appointment up until about two weeks ago.

I have also made an appointment for Igor at a pediatric dentist -he's seen the dentist when we first came home to check for horrible rotten teeth as I had read all the stories of bad teeth and the kid had some horrible breath. No cavities and we were told the bad breath was post nasal drip. Anyhow the bad breath has improved and his teeth look better since they are now being brushed daily ( one of his favorite activities - go figure) but I'm concerned about his very high arched palate and his bite and wonder if something shouldn't be done orthodontics's while he's still growing? Igor is also a first rate thumb sucker which I know is bad, however I have been loath to try to break it because it brings him much comfort which I knew he needed at this transition time. I will inquire about this as well and ask what the best solution is. I really don't think the nasty nail bite stuff will work, but I have seen thumb guards and there is an orthodontic thing that can be glued into the roof of the mouth that stops things as well.

In other news the weather was wonderful yesterday, if a bit breezy in the 70's if you can believe that! My daffodils are starting to pop up and I may have a bloom or two in a week or so if the warm weather keeps up - I just hope it doesn't prompt everything to bloom early and then we get a freeze. No new lookers on the house - I'm starting to get worried. Sonny Boy has made friends with the neighbor and her dog and daily plays with them now. Good for both him and the dog as the dog is younger dog and the neighbor is disabled and can't romp the way Sonny Boy does with the dog. I think Sonny Boy misses Callie, but I sure don't miss the dog hair and poop in the yard.

I guess that's the extent of my ramblings. It's time to call in the little one from the yard and start the bed time routines.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Winnie - it's LaRose from the old IF board. I pop in on your blog every few weeks and enjoy hearing about your family's growth and goings on.


Yes, these are challenging times, economically. I got laid off in January, and my husband has been on disability since 2003. I was able to get some contract work, fortunately. I'm not making as much as I was, but it's enough so we can scrape by, stay in our house, and pay the bills. I try to remind myself that many people are going much worse. Plus, I have my wonderful kids and they're doing great. Thea is almost 5 now. You've got some handsome guys there yourself!



--Diana "LaRose"


dianalarose@hotmail.com

Tami said...

I just found your blog through Jill and wanted to say hi!
So glad you're taking the bull by the horns on the speech therapy issue. As a mom of four kids who all needed speech therapy, I can tell you the earlier you get started the easier it is on the kiddos. My oldest son just 'graduated' out and speaks beautifully...my oldest daughter should be done in a year or so. The younger two may be in there for quite awhile yet, but its making all the difference.
I have enjoyed catching up on your blog and hope you'll let me follow your progress. ;)