Sunday, April 19, 2015

Which Cliche'?

I don't know which is a better description.  Either I'm waiting on the other shoe to drop, or I'm stuck on the tracks (or in reality so one else is) and the train is in sight.

I've done my best to foster a hands off approach to dealing with Mom and her crazy lately.  Mostly it works.  She is still toppling over more often than a one legged duck but so far no further injury.  Currently she is due to go on a trip Monday with just about the only person she hasn't alienated in the world -why he still puts up her crazy I don't know.   From the get go I have declared I did not think it a good idea.  It started out a fiasco and I have a hunch it will end as one too.  From the moment it was  planned things went south when I was volunteered to have Mom at Midway in Chicago for 8:30 a.m. on a Monday flight.  Midway is at least two hours from home.  I frankly declared it wasn't going to happen and the flight needed to be changed, preferably to Milwaukee.  Instead they just changed it to a different time.  Dumb me should have said nope, not doing it, if you can't handle changing planes you don't need to fly (that was the explanation given as to why the flight was booked out of Midway).   I went along with it.  Then all this toppling over business started and her foot broke in a couple of different places.   To skip to the crazy part is she purchased herself some flip flops for her trip!  Flip flops, sounds like her typical walking pattern.  I warned her I didn't think this was such a good idea to wear flip flops at any time.  She doesn't see the problem.

When we went south for the class reunion I pondered the idea of turning off my WiFi because I knew she was getting antsy to do her taxes.  I had pushed her to wait on Hubby to help her with them but he had been busy and hadn't had a chance not to mention she hadn't gathered the figures I had told her to yet.  When I got back she told me she had tried to do her taxes but she thought she could do them for free and when she got to the end they wanted credit card numbers and the like so she quit.  Will teach me to disable the WiFi when she's antsy.  Hubby later found time and sat down with her when they got to the end he got up to the bathroom and when he came out she said "all done" so he figured ok.  Last week I asked her if she got her refund back yet and she hadn't and I figured there was a problem because ours came back lickty split.  I nagged Hubby to check on it but you know how those kind of things get pushed to the side.  Mom came over April 16 saying "I think we better check on this" and sure enough it hadn't gone through.  Hubby got it corrected with a look of wonder on his face.

I did check into assisted living.  43 K a year.  That's at the minimum level of care.  Yeah not in our budget anytime soon.  Thing is if she'd just do even half of what she should she would feel better, be healthier, and happier.

But here I am again,  fretting when I said I wouldn't.  Do you think it's possible to just buy a plane ticket for the inevitable medical emergency that is going to happen while she is on her trip?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh, you poor thing. What a tough place you are in. Positive thoughts being sent for your mother to have a successful trip and for you to have some R & R.

Lori

Winnie said...

Thanks, strangely enough this is calm. Calm before the storm I'm sure but calm for us. She got there in one piece so hopefully a week away will do us both good. Honestly just knowing I'm not responsible for making sure she's not on the floor (lives next door) is a weight off of my shoulders.