Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Poop

Literally, not figuratively or any other -ly but real, honest, excrement.

Last night after I finally wandered up to bed around 1:00 a.m Callie the obese Labrador came up as usual.  Typically she snores as equally as loud as Hubby through the night only punctuated with an occasional snarl or yip as she dreams of renegade squirrels in the yard.  - between the two of them I've seriously considered the guest bed.  I finally nod off and do my nightly battle of too hot, too cold, too sweaty to have it interrupted by Callie hauling herself downstairs.  OK, unusual but since I was in the middle of a hot flash and we are both middle aged non-reproducing females I figured she was too.  A little while later she comes back and starts panting like its 100 degrees.  I'm fairly awake by now and figure she's gotta "go" so I take my sweaty damp self to the door to shiver while she circles a few times in the yard.  Callie finishes her business and we all return to bed upstairs.  I spend a couple of hours tossing, turning, dreaming to have Hubby's alarm go off and Callie's pacing and panting begin again.  Sonny Boy is disturbed and he is sent to the door with her and the morning routine begins.  

Needless to say the dog has tummy troubles.  The dog continues to want out and poops about every two hours.  Other than an amazing amount of urgent and frequent bathroom trips she doesn't have any other ill effects so I wasn't too concerned.  Time to get the kids from school rolled around so I ran a quick errand and picked up the boys, was gone exactly one hour.  When we got home  Callie darted out the door and Hubby met us all perturbed because she'd had an accident in the living room.  He had just came in the front door in a miracle of crazy timing.  In the land of animal accidents it wasn't a big deal, wasn't even on the rug but gee whiz did it smell bad.

I must say that Callie is the queen of house trained animals.  I am pretty sure she has not pooped or peed in the house since she was three or four months old.  Even when left for very long periods of time we have always come home to cleanliness.  (Now she has killed a few toys in her puppy years though). Knowing this Hubby called the vet and we were instructed to feed her chicken and rice and give her some Pepcid.  So I cooked the dog chicken and rice, - before I cooked our supper.

She seems to be on the mend, but she is hungry as I wanted to keep her stomach a little settled until morning.  It's not like she doesn't have a little extra blubber to live off of in those extra 30 lbs.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry to say, but look forward to more accidents D:

My dog passed away short of her 14th birthday. She too destroyed many toys in her puppyhood (both dog toys and kid toys) and was completely house-broken for many years.
She was very high-energy and needed to run a lot but was not gentle on her body and hurt her hip around age 6. Of course as she got older it got more and more painful (maybe just stiff) and arthritis set in everywhere, really.
But in that last year of life... we were just glad we only carpeted the bedrooms upstairs. Of course runny poop generally means something is wrong, but she's just giving you a taste of what's to come! Their muscles get weak and can't hold in pee or poo and they don't get as much warning when they have to go because of everything being weak... and well, if we humans are just too dumb to pick up on the pacing (we had a non-barker, just personality) we will have some cleaning up to do.

Sorry this turned into a reminiscing comment, but was really meant to be "oh just you wait!".

Also, she never lost her house-brokenness in the sense that she knew it was wrong and felt extremely guilty about it to the point of licking up drops of pee (musn't leave a mess for the humans to see) and trying to completely avoid the area where the recent deposit was made. Poop downstairs (in our house with walk-out ground level on both stories)? Just don't go downstairs, simple as that. Humans won't notice I did something bad. (Of course there was no scolding in the last 1.5 years)

Winnie said...

Yeah, I'm afraid of that. Currently we are in a happy middle age span, if I could freeze time with a dog this is it. She's old enough not to do the crazy puppy stuff anymore at all but hasn't moved onto the elderly dog stuff yet. Callie already has a bad hip, after a hard day of play she gets really gimpy so I expect it will come down to how badly that pains her in old age.
Thanks for the comment!

Unknown said...

Hello, Anonymous,
(Sorry to derail this, Winnie! (I sure hope that your poor dog gets well soon!)
We have a dog just as you described. He'll be 14 in June. Poor thing. We love him so much, but it is sad to see him so "old". My dh wants to put him down, but I just can't bring myself to do it. It is now spring and he loves to lay in the yard soaking up the sun. Is his life so bad that we need to put him down? I would rather that nature take its course. What did you do?
Lori