Thursday, April 23, 2015

Eating Machine

Suddenly it seemed liked everything was running low in the household at once.  Household staples such as toilet paper, paper towels, laundry detergent, and the like were all hitting critical stages.  Time for a Sam's club run.

I loaded my cart down with industrial sized bottles of detergent, a massive bag of dog food, and a few  basic grocery items.  I also purchased a 2 lb package of cherry tomatoes.  Pushing my cart up to the registers and  I tried not to flinch noticeably when my total was announced, it was breathtaking.  Oh well, I won't have to purchase toilet paper a couple of months or more.

When the kids came home and discovered the giant packages of paper goods they were amazed.  We'll never need paper towels again!  Igor then proceeded to eyeball the cherry tomatoes.

Cherry tomatoes are a weird thing in our house.  My kids will actually pass up treats to eat them.  Not a bad thing most of the time, but frustrating when they are purchased with a specific use in mind.  These tomatoes had a purpose.  I allowed Igor four tomatoes.

Despite the fact I had just spent an enormous amount of money on essentially groceries I still needed to go to the grocery store.  The tomatoes purpose required other ingredients and a birthday party gift was needed so Igor and I go to Sam's cousin Wal Mart.  I left Sonny Boy at home with my tomatoes, big mistake.

I came home to find at least a third maybe more of the tomatoes gone.  So frustrating, particularly when I now have to go back to the store today and buy more tomatoes so I can make the dish.

It's not just tomatoes though, for supper last night he ate a serving and a half of meatloaf, a serving of vegetables, a large salad (this would have easily filled most adults) then was still hungry so he ate a banana and a pb&j.  I cannot cook enough for this child anymore.   Every meal I add more to the pot thinking this will be enough, we'll have leftovers, etc.  nope.  It's like trying to fill the Grand Canyon with a spoon.

Does anyone have advice on how to economically fill a pit?  Pasta, potatoes, etc I suppose?  Seems like starches are the cheapest but in the end empty calories for the most part.  I know he's growing and that's what concerns me, this is eating at 85 lbs.  What happens at man size?  I may have to go SAMs once a week.

2 comments:

Lin said...

You want to make sure he is eating well too, so be careful of filling him with starches. I can't say it gets easier--boys are just eating machines. Do you remember when we were worried that they didn't eat enough? I know I did! Boy, I miss those days!

Winnie said...

I still worry about the little one eating enough. I suppose that will change but the older one has always been a good eater now he's packing it away.