Sunday, January 19, 2014

Just a note

Typing on the I pad as the lap top is in the next room and that's just too far away.  If something is crazy I blame lack of keyboard and autocorrect.

It's strange to think I've fallen into habits while visiting at the hospital but I suppose we are creatures of habit.  Mom has been in the rehab unit long enough that I've met all the nurses who typically work her wing on all shifts.  I've met several of the therapist, and I'm getting adept at managing transfers of her from bed to walker / wheelchair / commode.

Mom has one nurse who is Ukrainian and has a middling thick accent which gives Mom fits understanding her.  N is very chatty and smart as a whip and very blunt which frankly I find refreshing in medical fields, because no one ever really wants to give a straight answer.

Mom seems to have better days and horrible days.  Pain control is a real issue, she's not really on too many meds due to all the previous scare but what she is on makes her thick headed at best and really sleepy most of the time.  I think she has mostly given up TV and spends the majority of her time asleep.  I don't really know how much is med related, depression, or just plain old exhaustion from injury and not getting long periods of uninterrupted sleep due to pain and hospital environment.

This morning we all left the house before light to go to Sonny Boy's wrestling tournament.  The route to the tourney basically went right past the hospital so I parked the car there and went the rest of the way to the tournament with Hubby and the boys.  Thankfully the tournament was very well ran with a minimum of waiting around which usually occurs at these things.  Sonny Boy did surprisingly well considering he was all for giving up the sport a week ago.  He lost his first match in sudden death overtime, lost the the second match to a kid who just really did beat him, but he won the last two matches by pin to come in 3 rd in a 5 kid bracket.   He was thrilled with the results and his coach declared he was very impressed.  After the tournament we all went to the hospital to show grandma the new hardware and subject her to video replay.  The kids stayed only briefly and left with hubby while I hung around a few hours and attended therapy with her.

I came home around 6:00 to find all the boys watching some corny Garfield movie so I went upstairs to warm my feet under the electric blanket.  Did you know that warm feet induce narcolepsy?  Neither did I, but I woke up rather confused two hours later having slept through supper and just in time to give Igor a good night kiss.

I'm so very tired,  not simply physically, but emotionally, and ( crap I can't think of the right word if that tells you anything) cognitively.  I take time off from hospital visits and try to be good to myself but looking ahead more than a couple of days seems impossible.  Hubby has been wonderful and picked up all my slack, but I can tell the kids are actually missing me ( maybe the first time they would admit it) Igor is clingy( er) and even Sonny Boy has been cuddly - except when he made me be his wrestling partner the other night.


No comments: