Monday, February 4, 2013

I'm a Sucker

Winnie
 
1974 - hopefully a date in the distant future
 
Devoted Daughter, Wife, and Mother
 
Never met a volunteer opportunity she wouldn't sign up for
 
 
That's what will be on my tombstone. I don't know why I do it.  I'm not one of those people that have a hard time saying "No".  I probably say it 100 times a day, but give me a volunteer job and well; you know, I'm there.
 
By the end of the day on Saturday I will have worked two 3 hour shifts at two different high school wrestling tournaments - note: my kid is not a high school wrestler.  I will have played teacher's aid in Igor's kindergarten classroom for 1 hour.  I will spend untold hours baking a LARGE cake for the scout banquet and several hours setting up and tearing down said banquet.   I will have gathered a fair amount of awards for the banquet and gotten them labeled as well.
 
Oh yeah, did I mention I'll now be committee chair for the cub scout troop?
 
I think I should get a "real job" so I don't feel so obligated to do all this stuff. 
 
Here is a sneak peek at the topper I made of polymer clay for the scout cake. 
 
 
 
So if I go missing in the next couple of weeks never fear, I'm lost in a nightmare of volunteer work, buttercream and going at it solo (yeah Hubby is on a work trip this week).  I see many nights of take-out happening in the near future.



3 comments:

Lin said...

I was with you until the wrestling thing. I don't and won't volunteer for events that other kids' parents should be working at. Nope. Gotta draw the line somewhere. I will do for my kid (and those on their team, club, etc.) but NOT for things we aren't connected with. That, my dear, is being a doormat.

Let me know when you need help saying "no." I give lessons. $20 for Assertiveness Training.. $25 if you wanna learn how to cuss along with that. ;) Hee! Hee!

Winnie said...

Ended up not doing the wrestling thing. Somehow my return e-mail didn't get me on the schedule and I didn't correct the mistake.

Also didn't make it to my own kid's wrestling tournament due to the fact he had bronchitis.

This week is gloriously sane in comparison.

Lin said...

Hooray! :)