Monday, October 29, 2012

Pumpkin Carving, Halloween & other Stuff

 
Jack-O-Lantern, Neil Armstrong, Harry Potter, Windy the Witch
 
 
We attended a Halloween party this weekend.  Can you guess who went all out and thought up his/her costume 10 minutes before the party started?  Nope, wasn't me, even though I'm dressed in some cheap garb from Wal-Mart.
 
A few weeks ago we stopped at a roadside pumpkin stand and picked out a few pumpkins for the front porch.  The road side stands are a staple around here, many folks out in the country plant a few pumpkins and put them out with a self-pay box to get a little cash.  The pumpkins are usually quite a bit cheaper than store bought if sometimes a little less than perfect.  Ever since we brought the pumpkins home the kids have been jumping up and down to carve them.  Well finally got around to doing it today and honestly the kids were less than enthusiastic after I set them to gutting the gourds.  In fact after they half cleaned them out only Igor stuck around for the actual carving of his pumpkin, Sonny Boy wandered off and didn't even take a look at his when I carried it back out to the front steps.  I had purchased on of those fancy white pumpkins to break up the all the orange on the porch, I figured I'd carve that - well did you know those do not smell anything like pumpkin?  Who knew, more of a cucumber / cantaloupe smell.  Weird.  Anyway my steps are glowing with jack-o-lanterns and a spooky grim reaper with a strobe light on him in the window.  The town has finally decided trick-or-treating should actually be ON Halloween night this year so it will be the first time many kids here have ever trick or treated in the dark, heck before you couldn't even see the if the pumpkins were lit.  I also plan on making few luminaries along my sidewalk as we have a bag of sand for some unknown purpose and  some paper sacks. 
 
Not much else going on, things are the same on all fronts and I keep hoping for some change.  Oh well, gotta go fold some underwear.
 


1 comment:

Lin said...

How fun!

I have a bunch of pumpkins and gourds on the front porch, but we didn't carve them all. I hate to throw them away so quickly, so I'm hoping they stay around for a few more days...weeks????