Tuesday, October 9, 2012

and the Saga continues...

Well yesterday didn't quite go as planned.  Mom sat in her hospital bed in a fair amount of pain for the day not allowed to drink or eat since she was supposed to have surgery sometime around 4:00 pm.  Around 3:30 the nurse comes in and tells us that her surgery had been cancelled due to the OR's being booked up and some trauma cases etc etc.  I was BEYOND fit to be tied.  I get life threatening cases get priority, but don't people laid up in the hospital have priority over a surgery that was scheduled weeks out?  I don't know, I'd certainly had enough.  Anyway since there was nothing I could do I made sure they brought Mom some food, she was heavily medicated and went home for the evening.  I crawled into bed early, thoroughly worn out but try as I might I was too keyed up to sleep and ended up taking a benedryl around midnight.  The benedryl did the trick, but I paid for it this morning getting out of bed.

This morning Hubby agreed he'd go into work early and I would get the kids off to school and then come to the hospital since we knew surgery wouldn't happen until around noon anyway.  I get to the hospital about 9:00 or so and find out her blood counts are off and they are transfusing a pint of blood into her before surgery.  It was explained to me that this happens sometimes that there is bleeding from the bone.  WHAT?  Would this have even been an issue if you'd done surgery yesterday or even Sunday?  Anyhow they wheeled her upstairs for surgery around noon and I left the hospital armed with my cell phone.  I had to get some stuff shipped I'd sold on E-bay, and cripes sitting in the hospital is enough to make you go nuts!

The surgery went OK, I suppose, at least that's what the ortho doc told me when he called and I swear he was eating at the same time.  I made a point to be around when she came back from surgery and while the nurses have been really good Mom really needed somebody in the room with her as she was drugged pretty crazily and would sit straight up in the bed and declare it was time to go home!  Later she wasn't so sure as all the pain started REALLY kicking in and it took several rounds of pain meds to get it under control.   Right now Mom is finally zonked out after having enough narcotic pushed to down a horse.  I'm still at the hospital at 8:30 pm but I'm about to head home, I just wanted to make sure she was settled good before I left.

Tomorrow should prove interesting.  Nobody seems to know if she'll be released or not.  I'll get Igor off to school in the morning and I have volunteered to work in his classroom at 2:00-3:00 and he gets out of school at 3:20.  If they decide to discharge Mom during that time frame they'll just have to let her wait, and if they keep her she'll have to speak up for herself as certainly Igor won't be happy sitting around a hospital room any more than I am.

Well that's all the news.  Fun huh?  Now 6-8 weeks of her not having a right arm (she's right handed by the way) and the good Lord only knows on rehab.  I'm starting to feel like Job without the boils - give that time I suppose.

2 comments:

Lin said...

Wishing Mom (and you) a speedy recovery time. I'm sure it's gonna be interesting helping her out--but you gotta do what you gotta do, right?

Thinking of you! ((hugs))

David&Monica said...

you ok?