Monday, October 8, 2012

One Thing, after Another, after Another....

The end of last week wrapped up and frankly it was one I was glad to see behind me.  Hubby got home from France on Saturday afternoon, tired and jet lagged but happy to be home.  He enjoyed his trip.  Gosh wish I'd have been there.

Sunday morning we slept in.  I was cooking lunch/brunch/breakfast when I heard Mom yell, scream, swear and thud down the stairs.  Hubby and I went running and she was doubled over with her shoulder in pain.  We managed to wrap her arm to her body and took her into the ER.  I was suspecting it was dislocated, but alas nothing as simple, she broke the end of her humerous bone off and the rounded part of the bone that fits into the shoulder socket stayed.  Mom was admitted to the hospital last night for pain control and they will do surgery at 4:30 today.  I got her settled into her room last night and went over 10,000 questions with admitance and then went home for the night.  Luckily the hospital is only 5 blocks or so from the house.  The earliest I expect she'll be released is Tuesday and then who knows how long her recovery will be. 

If Mom isn't released on Tuesday we'll have a mess on our hands as Hubby and Sonny Boy plan on leaving Wed. morning for North Dakota and their hunting trip with Father-in-Law and cousins.  I don't know what the heck I'll do with Igor.  Thankfully he's in school through the day and if they keep Mom longer she may just have to be at the mercy of the nursing staff.

Currently I'm sitting in the hospital killing time waiting on Mom's surgery.  They are keeping her drugged but not too heavily.  Everytime she starts drifting off to sleep the bad shoulder will either spasm or most likely  relax a little from spasm and she'll yell.  Scares me out of my skin about every 4-8 minutes.  They cannot / will not give her more meds before surgery so it's a matter of riding it out.  I personally don't know how painful it is - I'm sure it hurts like hell - but I also know Mom has a low pain tolerance as well.  The nurses here are saints.  Frankly I'm surprised they haven't thrown Mom to the wolves yet.  I will say it's a whole world of difference than when she was in the hospital for months on end in Memphis years ago where I did a lot of the nursing duties because there wasn't a person available to help her.

I just got a FB message from my cousin that my aunt passed away this morning.  I'm sad to learn of her passing as I always thought her loads of fun as a kid.  I haven't seen her much in the last 20 years or so but we kept in touch.  I would plan on attending her funeral, but alas with Mom injured that won't happen.  With my aunt passing it will leave only one other aunt alive from my father and his siblings (there were 4 total) the one remaining aunt is her 80's, but I suppose she's in reasonable health.

Hubby's grandmother got moved into her assisted living facility last week.  By all reports she likes it so far and that's good to hear.  I honestly believe it will be good for her as she's been rather isolated the last year or two since she quit driving and now she's able to play cards and hang out with others when she feels like it and not depend on everyone to stop by and the like.

Well, I suppose that's that.  Nothing more to tell.  Roughly three hours till they take her back to surgery.  I wonder if the nurses will give me a bump of Mom's drugs?  ha!




1 comment:

Lin said...

Aw, crud. I'm sorry your mom got hurt. And I hope she gets better soon. I will keep my fingers crossed. :)