Thursday, June 16, 2011

Worrisome Times

I'm beginning to hate Children's hospital. It seems my interactions with that place lately have not brought good news. Every appointment brings hope that I'll be looked like some over paranoid mother and sent home. Unfortunately that hasn't happened in a long while.

This year Igor has seen orthopedics for the broken leg and to get SMO's, Opthamology for continued monitoring of vision, Cardiology which diagnosed a heart condition, Genetics which has diagnosed a connective tissue disorder with only a good guess as to the actual name - waiting on expensive genetic testing we are still waiting insurance approval on. Cranio-facial who did say there was no cleft palate (a tiny bit of good news) but there is definite craniostenosis - the sutures in the skull closing too soon - which could be putting pressure on his brain. This is forcing another trip back to Opthamology to rule out some sort of eye ball bulging (there is a fancy name for it but my brain is fried from trying to keep my head together today) if the eye-ball bulging is there he will definitely need surgery and I'll be getting a phone call in the next day or two to schedule a CT scan to see how extensive the cranio-stenosis is and see what that brings. Yay (that's supposed to be in the sarcasm font that should be existent on blogger) Send up some prayers that Igor's funny shaped head is simply funny shaped. I want an MD to say we've over reacted.

This comes on the tail end of finding out that my high school boyfriend of six years passed away on Saturday afternoon. I meandered back and forth for a day or two if I should load up the kids and drive down to Arkansas for the funeral. In the end I decided against it. It's a sad situation as it seemed he drank himself to an early grave at age 39. A wasted life. My mother attended the memorial tonight and said it was sad. Perhaps the only good thing to say is that he never had children who would have lived through the hell of an alcoholic father and the loss of him young. My mother said that somehow his family had come to the conclusion that I had been killed in an accident up here in WI and thought I'd been dead for several years. Must have been quite shocking when I friended his sister on Facebook a few months ago. Like Mark Twain said "The rumours of my death are greatly exaggerated".

Thankfully the overly stressful events of the week haven't sent my body into a tailspin. Mornings have been rough with a couple of nights bad sleep. My allergies are flaring up something horrible but eye drops and Claritin are helping to keep them in check. I've had other friends in the area complain about allergies lately too, seem to be rougher than normal this year.

We have cancelled our plans to take Sonny Boy to NYC and DC while Hubby was out east. The plane tickets are outrageous and couple that with the upcoming medical expenses and complications (which we hope we are just being too careful with) we don't want to buy non-refundable tickets. Hubby's corporate headquarters are in New Jersey so they'll be other trips to the east coast to piggy back on at another time.

In response to not taking the NYC trip we've promised Sonny Boy a long camping trip. I finally conned Hubby into letting me get a camper. The camper wasn't too old but had rotten floors but was otherwise beautiful. Hubby agreed to let me get the camper as it was cheap due to the floor issue and is working on getting the floor repaired. I'm excited to get it up and running, Hubby is charged with getting it operational by the time he leaves for his training stint. He fusses about it, but I know he really kind of likes the challenge of the project as all the house projects we've had this year have been given to contractors. Igor is excited about the camper too and keeps asking questions about where we'll all sleep and can we do XYZ and when we go camping and the like. Sonny Boy is pretty blase as he proclaims he wants some huge giant motorcoach fit for a rock star.

So there's my worries on a platter. Maybe I can sleep tonight, I don't know. Maybe I should just go take a benedryl or two and kill two birds with one stone - sleep and allergies. Looks like my summer just got interesting in a way I did not intend.

No comments: