Thursday, February 4, 2010

Moms Do Not Get Sick Days

This week I have been sick, not just a little, S-I-C-K, the kind of sick where death would be preferential if you did not know that this was a temporary state. The ton of bricks hit in the wee hours of Tuesday morning, fever, body aches, chills etc etc. Wonderful Hubby nursed me through the night digging through junk finding this and that and I finally managed to break the fever and fall asleep sometime around 4 am. Hubby then called in to work to tell them he would be late, fed the kids and took Sonny Boy to school and woke me to move to the couch so I could keep a 1/2 eye open for Igor who was happy to watch hours of PBS kids while I dozed on the couch. The plan was for me just to keep Igor home and Hubby would leave work early and pick up Sonny Boy, however I managed to peel myself off the couch enough to take Igor into school as I figured he'd be better supervised by someone awake. Hubby then got off work early and picked up the boys, came home and took care of them and me both. Wednesday was still a rotten day with just minor improvement in my condition so Hubby went on into work after laying out the kid's breakfast (what a sweetie), he was maybe 30 minutes late but really on time for his standard day - if that makes sense. I managed to get Sonny Boy off to school and crashed on the couch while Igor learned all the theme songs to the PBS kids am line up again. At 11:00 I peeled my carcas off of the couch and proceeded to make a PB&J to feed Igor, never in my life would I call smearing peanut butter on bread work, but I had sit down in the middle of it. I survived and managed to get Igor off to preschool and came home, called Hubby and asked if he could get the kids from school again as I was just too weak to function.

This morning Hubby went to work at normal time as I had a much better night (still not great, but better) and his direct supervisor (who changes from project to project) was an absolute jerk to him. Here Hubby is doing his best to take care of both us and work, but the butt-head doesn't give him an ounce of credit for coming into work at all when he would have been well within his rights to call in sick all together. Damned if you do, Damned if you don't, nothing seems to make this one guy happy. I know, I know I'm not there, and I only hear one side of the story, and yes I'm sure to be partial to Hubby. I do know my husband though, and there are few people he can't at least pretend to get along with, he doesn't seek confrontation, he is really a personable fellow. In fact my grandmother, who wouldn't say anything nice about anybody, could only come up with the fact that " He's too tall" when asked what she thought about him. Currently I'm wondering the most effective means of spreading my germs (and now the kids as they are sick as well) to the but-head and see how much he likes being too sick to sleep, read or watch TV for two days. By george, I'm sure he'd be calling in sick as walking to the bathroom was like running the Boston Marathon.

Today I'm on the mend. I would say I'm at 25% which is better than the negative numbers I was hitting the last two days. I'm still weak when I move around much but have managed to wash the sheets on the bed and do a couple of loads of laundry, I probably should have held out that energy for cooking though as by suppertime we ended up eating Hardees since Hubby is at work trying to play catch up with his paycheck. The downside is that the boys are now sick as well. Sonny Boy is running a low fever off and on, Igor has a nasty hacking cough. Sonny Boy would probably be fine to go to school tomorrow, Igor I'll decide tomorrow, but it appears we are going to get a whopping two inches of snow that will likely cause a snow day.

So here's my question to you fellow SAHM's and readers. What happens when mom is sick? I don't mean just feeling bad and lets the dishes slide for a day or three and the laundry hill turns into a mountain but when primary caregiver needs care. Do you have family to call on? Does Hubby take a day or two off of work?

I'd love to hear your solutions to this problem, I'm all ears, or eyes. As for now it's bedtime and I hope I can get the kids down without falling over myself.

2 comments:

Lori said...

Hmmm....when I've been at death's door, it's been tough for the family, too. Once my sister came over to take care of the kids (it was a weekend).....once we brought our child over to a relative's home for a few hours.....once dh had to scale back on his work in order to care for us--and that always causes friction with his work partner. It's never easy. Hope that you are feeling better now!

junglemama said...

When I am sick-- life goes on. thankfully with older children they are able to help out. Hope you feel better soon.