Sunday, February 14, 2010

Happy Valentine's Day

My Valentine's Day Cake
Hope you and your sweetie have a good Valentine's Day. Hubby and I kept it low key and simply exchanged cards. I did make the above cake. When I had my escape day last week I found a pretty in depth book on cake decorating at borders and it inspired me to try my hand at some other designs. This is similar to the one in the book, however I took a few liberties with the design, marbled the fondant and outlined the cutout hearts with piped icing. It really turned out pretty good and I'm quite proud of it. I think my next project is to try to sculpt some flowers from gum paste. I don't have any of the tools for it though so I really need to find a good cake decorating store in the area. Michael's has a basic selection of stuff, but their variety is lacking. I should really watch E-bay and hope I stumble on someones collection that they are purging.
Things have been fairly quiet here. My stomach issues are still boiling. I keep procrastinating about going to the doctor as honestly I'm quite sure it is some sort of bug. It started when I was so sick a couple of weeks ago. However living with it's not fun, so it will likely drive me into the clinic before too long. I hate to start the doctor trips on this as everything I google makes me think I'll be sent to a GI doc and nothing they do sounds like a happy fizzy party.
I spoke with Igor's teacher the other day and she is thrilled with the amount progress he's making in class. She said he's gone from looking dazed and confused to participating, offering answers, playing with the other kids and generally fitting in. HUGE progress for him as I was really worried he was overwhelmed when at school.
Even though I'm in the midst of watching the winter Olympics I feel spring in the air. I saw several robins around and when I was brushing out a horse she was just starting to shed. One of the advantages of being further south will be an earlier spring at least.

No comments: