Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Updates and pictures

Sonny Boy and his 2000 Rainmaker built with his plans with a little help from Dad.
Sharing a Sponge Bob ice cream bought from the ice cream truck!


Dad bought these cool Packer Hats at a silent auction at church. Igor wears his ALL the time.

Smiling Igor - it's hard to get a picture of him smiling for some reason!
Well things are settling some here. The stunned feeling of unemployment has passed and we are just waiting for his new job to start. Still it's stressful not really knowing what's going on in the next few months but we are settling into a new normal.
Igor is doing very well. It's hard to believe he is the same quiet scared kid we brought home a little over a year ago. He's starting to talk a bit - some we can understand and a lot of it we can't but he's happy babbling to himself in the carseat when we are driving around so between his "chatter" and Sonny Boy's we can never actually hear the weather or news on the radio. Currently I'm working with the school district to get his IEP lined up for fall. Lots of meetings and evaluations but the school district is moving it along. They have no issues that he might not actually be in this school district come fall and tell me I'll have a much smoother time going into a new school district with an IEP in hand. Doing all this special ed stuff is flashbacks to college. I minored in special ed, not really thinking it would be something I would put into use. I now wished I would have gotten that double major (not only for economic reasons) but to be a little more informed on what to adovocate for with Igor. It has made me a little less intimidated with the process however. On other fronts he's just a typical two year old, fights with his brother, LOVES outside, thinks Elmo is the bomb and is all over the place all the time. We really need to start pottie training but quite frankly we are lazy and don't want to start knowing that big upheavals are just around the corner. I'm hoping the pottie training fairy will come down and suddenly give him that knowledge. Honestly he's ready, we aren't. Igor's weight gain has hit a standstill but he is still growing height wise. The eating issues are somewhat better but I would still be happier if he ate more. Igor at 2 1/2 is still wearing an 18 month pair of pants that barely stay up.
Currently we are in process to get Igor new glasses. The white ones in the picture above are the picture on indestructable and also the picture of dorky. Hubby calls them Elton John's. We went to the eyeglass place to get new ones the other day and after a couple days of phone calls and monkeying around with his eye doctor we get the determination that we can get him more normal glasses with 1/4 inch thick lenses for $10 using our insurance, or buy super slim lenses which is what he really needs, however insurance will not pay for those lenses and I'll be out $267! Ugh, more than my own glasses cost. We haven't decided what to do, I know Igor doesn't really care but he's starting to understand more and having glasses this young usually causes enough remarks without adding the fact that they are dorky or coke bottle thick. I really hope that by the time he's old enough there will be Lasik that can either correct his vision or get him into a pair of glasses that don't resemble Mr. Magoo.
Sonny Boy will "graduate" from pre-K tomorrow night. He's ready to be done with school and quite frankly has been pretty bored with it for a few months now. Doing ABC's and counting must get pretty old when you can read on what I'm guessing is a late 1st grade early 2nd grade level. Over all I'm glad we held him out of kindergarten this fall, but I wish we could have sent him about Christmas. Even with his advanced reading skills I don't see him skipping ahead, his writing is typical for his age and social skills are lagging a bit. I think some of that stems from the ADHD. Sonny Boy has really enjoyed having his dad around and they stay up late playing the Wii most nights. Hubby plays and Sonny Boy tells him what to do because he read the book and knows his way around the game. Quite funny actually, I've never seen tag team video games.
This weekend we will be involved with our civic group's big fundraiser. I'm somewhat looking forward to it, but I have burn out of being at the park for three solid days, smelling like a charcoal grill and listening to very loud motor boats run in circles. The little boats rip and are loud - I would still hear them even if I wasn't down there, you can hear them ALL over town. This weekend is also a big fest in town that draws tons of people from around the area and quite frankly moving through this little town becomes near impossible. They even put drift fence between the sidewalks and busy streets to keep kids and drunks from darting into traffic. Normally I look forward to it, but this year I'd just like to leave town.
I guess that's about it! Love getting your comments, though I have to admit I don't leave them much on the blogs I frequent, what comes around goes around.





2 comments:

Lori said...

Such a sweet picture of two brothers sharing an ice cream bar on a warm (nearly) summer's day!

Lori

adopting2fromUkraine said...

The little guy has grown so much since we saw you at the Embassy last year! So glad to read he's doing well:)

June