Friday, May 15, 2009

Totally embarrassing, but funny

OK, the following is totally embarrassing but quite frankly a hoot and I figure you'll get a pretty good giggle at my expense but hey it will make you smile today.

The other day Hubby dragged my bicycle out of his Grandma's basement, it had been there a couple of years as it had broken down on a trail ride with my mother-in-law a while back, we stuffed it in her basement and never retrieved it. Sonny Boy was getting too big for the baby seat on the back and my cranky knee wasn't liking life too well anyway so we didn't think much about it. However thinking about the upcoming summer with two boys to entertain I talked him into dragging it out and fixing it for me since Igor can fit on the seat and Sonny Boy can now ride his own bike.

Now here's the disclaimer, I grew up on a gravel road that was pretty rough - no mountain bikes back then- so once I grew out of the 16 inch banana seat pink job I had as a kid I never had another bike, didn't really want one, it's hard to ride a bike on a gravel road and there wasn't really anywhere to go anyhow so I'm not the most experienced bicycle rider. I'm not certain how to shift gears and the like. I would also like to make note I have short legs and a bike that is a bit too tall for me.

Now for the funny part: Hubby dragged the bike out and fixed it for me the other day. I jumped on and went around the block quickly to get used to it, then we strapped Igor on the back and Sonny Boy hopped on his bike for a quick ride around the neighborhood. Just around the corner I stopped at stop sign and hopped off the seat so I could be stable with Igor the wiggle worm on the back and turn around to make sure Sonny Boy wasn't about to dart through the sign. Well I hopped down a little too far forward and managed to hit my nether regions on the cross bar. It hurt so bad I was instantly nauseated and even Sonny Boy was concerned I was going to puke right there in the middle of the street, though he didn't quite know why as Mom felt quite fine 20 seconds before. Somehow I managed to not pass out and get back home, luckily we were still really close to home. I told Hubby what happened and he jokingly said " You want me to look at it for you" I turned down his offer but soon took him up on it as I realized I was bleeding. It appears that somehow I managed to remove some skin in a very sensitive area! I took some Advil and iced the area (you can imagine how fun that was) and then donned some sweatpants which I have now been wearing for four days now - no not the same pair. I tried jeans this am but that just wasn't going to work. I tell you four days in sweats makes you really feel like a slob, not that I dress to the nines daily, but I generally at least put on jeans. No real damage was done, however the number of nerve endings in the area makes things somewhat sensitive to say the least. The moral of the story is - when riding a bicycle make sure you don't hop forward and down when coming off the seat.

1 comment:

junglemama said...

Ouch Winnie. Hope you are feeling better.

How are things going with Igor?