Tuesday, February 17, 2009

A little Rant.

Normally I don't blog about much, the kids mostly and a few fun things but I've been thinking lately, the octoplet mom sent me into a tailspin on the subject. I won't go there, plenty has been said EVERYWHERE about that craziness but it got me thinking about very large families in general.

There are a few families in the Ukrainian adoption community that are quite large. Mostly it is because the families have repeatedly adopted older children and special needs children and grown their family that way. It appears that the families (two in particular I'm thinking of) are financially and emotionally stable enough to support the craziness that must occur in households of 10+ children. I commend them for their dedication to giving families to children who would most likely live out their days in institutions or released into the bleak circumstances of an orphanage "graduate". I am glad people like them exist, I don't know how they do it but I'm glad they do.

The ones that perturb me to no end are the Duggers, if your not familiar with them they have their own show on cable called "16 and counting" but I think the actual number now is 17 with another one on the way. The family drives me bats with their holier than thou attitude. If they are so bible based why don't they follow the teaching to take care of orphans instead of procreating yet again? I find the fact that society is glorifying their whole huge family thing by giving them a TV show, they are regulars on the am talk shows and a few years ago Mrs. Duggar was named "Arkansas Mother of the Year". Is simply giving birth to two baseball teams worthy of making you mother of the year?

I'm sure you ask why do I know so much about the Duggers? I have watched the show, I'm guilty, sure who doesn't want to see how such a large family operates - maybe I can pick up a tip or two for my small brood, however it appears that the older girls get the brunt of the work associated with the family. Don't get me wrong, kids should certainly help, but to put two teenagers in charge of laundry for 20 people! That's a full time job in and of it's self.

Sorry to be so belligerent about all this. I'm really just curious if anyone else finds them as bizarre as I do. Please leave a comment on this, I know your reading! I would REALLY like to hear from Thereed & MommaJeane if you actually have time to read.

On a different note, I do like the show "John & Kate plus 8" I know they have a huge family as well, but they didn't set out to have 6 babies at once. I like the actual reality of the show, kids screaming and throwing things, the mom loosing her cool and the house looking like a bomb went off. Are they taking advantage of having a T.V. show - you betcha, I doubt the big vacations to Disney etc would be taken without the help and paycheck of the TV show. I only hope that they are putting aside some of the cash for the kid's futures.

Ok, off my soapbox of reality TV shows about large families.

For my own tiny little brood, we are doing well. Since taking Igor to the feeding team thing his eating is picking up - go figure. Spend a fortune, do nothing, and there is a big difference lately. I pray in continues as it lowers my stress level considerably. We will still go into the therapy a few more times but if things continue at this rate I doubt we will be at it much longer.

My biggest conundrum now is what to do about pre-school for Igor. I'm pretty sure he will qualify for services from the school district for speech, however they will not evaluate him until middle of the summer and determine how much and days he will attend or even if he will attend at all. The problem is that registration for preschool is now and to get him a spot and be able to choose what days he attends I need to register him now, especially if I want him in a certain teacher's class. I'm hoping the preschool will work with me on this as I've already discussed it with them and it's the same preschool Sonny Boy has attended the last 3 years.

On a more somber note, it appears the economy is hitting home now. Due to uncertainty with Hubby's job we are going to put our house on the market. I know it's not the most opportune time to do it, however if the axe falls on his job it would be nice to not have a mortgage hanging over our heads and the need to sell our house super quick because likely as not, if the pink slip is delivered, we will move from the area as Hubby's job opportunities are fairly scattered. I tell him if we are moving across country again this time I vote for Hawaii! Hopefully though his job will remain and we will just stuff into an apartment for a while until it appears things are stable and then buy another house. Hubby likes his job, benefits are good, pay is reasonable, and he gets along well with his co-workers so there is no reason to actually leave until we know more for sure.

Well I guess that's all. All you lurkers COME OUT THE CYBER CLOSET I'd at least like to know who you are.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I never heard of the family you mention. I would have to see the show to make a commnet about them. I wanted a huge family but after adopting two boys, my hands are full and I am blessed.

I give a heads up to mothers that can manage a huge family.... especially when they come into the family through various ways. I know I could not do it. I used to think I could but now I know I could not do it.

Jeri said...

Oh my gosh, I am not the only one who is not a fan of "the next great J name baby making clan". I'm sorry, that mama needs to start focusing on the ones she has, giving thanks that so far, they've been very fortunate that the children have all been born healthy and ALLOWING HER KIDS TO HAVE A CHILDHOOD!

As for J & K plus 8...I do wish she'd treat her husband as a partner and not her ninth child. (Seems he's always saying,"Sorry.") And, that there would be a little more equality between the twins and the sextuplets. Examples: 4th of July (they keep playing it) the big girls got to swim but the little ones had to watch. The cake decorating...the big girls got to eat their cupcakes but the little ones had to wait until they got home and had their dinner. Now I realize there is an age difference but those are two examples where some flexibility might have worked better. She's pretty tightly wound but God bless her, they do run a very consistent and tight ship! My son is a huge fan of this show so I'm watching it too.

As to the octo mom....I'm sorry but she should have never gone for more kids when she couldn't really care for those she already had.

Whew! Thanks...I feel better.
Disclaimer: The commenter acknowledges that she is far, far from being perfect. So far, that no tv channel has offered to pay her to let them film her family's life!

Anonymous said...

I grew up in a large family. There are a lot of blessings that come along with that, but also a lot of work and responsibilities. Such that once I did grow up and went on my own, I wanted to have my 'childhood'! Years later I was ready for my own family, but now it occurs through adoption.

In a way, I feel that Octomom is taking the brunt of a widespread 'problem' or 'issue'. In our society, families are free to decide for themselves how many children to have. Octomom needed fertility assistance to have her 14 children. I agree that it is a concern, since she apparently was not able to provide for the previous 6 that she did have. However, I know of many other families who have numerous children biologically (needing no fertility assistance) and yet they receive financial assistance from the government in raisng them, often citing "God will provide". And He does, through us. So, I think that those families and Octomom are quite alike, except that Octomom is receiving the national attention.

adoptedthree said...

Amen!