Friday, July 31, 2015

Cutting the Apron Strings

 
 
This week Sonny Boy is off to Boy Scout camp.  It is the first long stay he's ever had away from family.  It's been disturbingly quiet around the house this week with just Igor around, amazing how the absence of one child cuts the noise factor by 98%.
 
 
The stranger thing is the wishing we knew what he was up to.  I don't really worry about his safety to be honest, I think (at least I hope) he's got enough sense to not do really stupid things.  But I do fret over stuff like brushing teeth or checking for ticks.  In comparison though I suppose I'm a little less tied to the kid than some of the other parents who are attending camp with their boys, because if that was a requirement I don't think he would get to go.  Spending a week in a tent with 40 or so teenage boys - most of them less than 15- no thanks.
 
Reports have trickled in from a couple of parents who have kids with phones and a mom who is splitting the camping with another parent.  Sonny Boy is doing well and has been having fun.  He has earned his Swimming merit badge but I don't know the status of his other projects.  I'm pretty sure Hubby and I have worried about him way more than he's worried about us.  As Hubby says he's much like his Grandfather and just goes with the flow.
 
Sonny Boy returns home tomorrow bringing smelly laundry, smelly feet, and a ton of tales.  I'm ready to hear them.
 
 


1 comment:

Lin said...

I think every kid needs a week away at camp to not brush their teeth or check for ticks. Really. I think it is good for them to learn to take care of themselves and to have some fun without mom/dad. I have fond memories of Girl Scout camp and acting like a fool without getting into trouble. I'm glad he went. I hope he had a BLAST!