Saturday, March 28, 2015

The Campaign

When Hubby and I first married we combined our thrift store / garage sale finds and had two couches, neither of which was fit for a dumpster.  One was a HUGE behemoth with busted springs that even our twenty something year old bodies had a hard time climbing out of, and the other was a brown plaid sleeper circa 1974.  Several months of coaxing, whining, pleading, and finance juggling I finally talked him into purchasing the couch and loveseat we are currently sitting on.

One would think that after enduring 17 years, five moves, two large dogs, two growing boys,  and Lord only knows how many "oops" Hubby would agree that it is time to replace the furniture that we sit our rear ends on the most.  Not my husband.

So my campaign begins.  I start by internet shopping.  Finding styles and colors I like etc in a reasonable price range and showing them to him and touting how wonderful they are.  Hubby grunts " We don't need a new couch, these are fine"  I ignore.  I keep shopping.  I find something else.  Standard reply of " The kids will just tear up something new" and you see where this is going.  It has for a few weeks now.  I'm not deterred.

My campaign is a long slog, not a quick sprint.  Eventually I will get him into a furniture store to "just look"  When we get here it will be a fast sprint to the finish line as then it will simply be finding a style and price we can agree on.

I will continue with the picture show for a while yet.  We still have quite a bit of work to complete the kitchen.  Worn couches are hardly noticeable when you have raw sheetrock around the kitchen window, no baseboards, and the exterior of your house is several different colors (and not by design).  The final countdown will begin when the kitchen work starts getting pulled together and the living room starts looking very shabby in comparison. I have a hunch he will cave then.

Vote for NEW COUCHES IN '15!

1 comment:

Lin said...

I think all men grow accustomed to what is there and don't think it needs to be replaced. Keep working on him! I hope it works.