Friday, March 20, 2015

BLAH!

That's about what I feel like lately.  I'm just going through the motions the last week.  I can't seem to shake the complete funk I'm in.  I keep blaming weather and the need to get outside but really it's not that.  I'm just tired.


Tired from the whirlwind trip south for the high school reunion.  It was a lot of fun.  I saw people I haven't seen in 25+ years.  My class had a good showing as well.  I didn't get to speak to many, caught up with a few unusual folks.  (my 6th grade teacher) and met spouses and children of classmates.  Hubby blended right in with the boys from my class - my class was mostly boys for some reason - and they have all friended him on FB and are planning a "man trip" for the summer.  Oddly enough one of my classmates has the same  career as Hubby which is really odd because there just aren't that many people out there in the world doing that.


Sonny Boy's illness passed as quick as it appeared and he was as right as rain by morning eating the breakfast in the morning like there would never be "free" breakfast again.  My theory that he ate fast food and swallowed too much pool water was probably correct.


Tired is the key word when dealing with Mom's shenanigans lately.  About three weeks ago she fell in her kitchen and must have landed directly on her chin and blackened her chin.  I've never seen a bruise so purple.  It looked like someone drew a purple goatee on her.  One week later I took her to Sonny Boy's band concert and for some crazy reason she insisted she wear heals.  I don't know why I didn't put a stop to that right there before she left the house, but I didn't and of course she rolled her foot walking into the gym.  From her reaction I knew immediately she had broken another bone in her foot so I exchanged shoes with her and crammed my foot into her too small shoe and gave her my sensible rubber soled loafers.  She refused to go the doctor the next day and she had doctor appointment on Monday anyway, so I didn't push but I said she needed to wear her "boot" which of course she didn't.   Monday this week I take her to the doctor and she's hobbling so I drop her at the door of the doctor's office and go park.  When I walked through the doors I hear the intercom "Medical Emergency, 1st floor Lobby" my first thought in a laughing manner is I bet that's Mom - it was.  She somehow lost her balance and sprawled in front of the elevators.  Three hours later we left.  She has "numerous" fractures in her foot in various stages of healing and will go see a podiatrist next week.  The primary care doctor said she may be casted.  God help me.


I KNOW what angers me most in this whole nightmare is the fact is that she does so little to help herself.  Her ability to even try is gone.  She begs doctors every trip "Take me off some of these meds" and they say you have to quit smoking first but she doesn't put out the first cigarette.  She complains about being weak but never tries to exercise.  Mom's diet is worse than an 18 year old frat boy's. 


I am going to call some assisted living places this afternoon and get some pricing.  Hopefully I can have Hubby run some numbers (he's really good at that kind of stuff) and see if even feasible.  We could probably bring in home health cheaper but honestly she needs more structure.

1 comment:

Lin said...

Ugh. What a nightmare. You can't do anything to help her either. BUT...she expects you to help clean up the mess.

I'm sorry that you are going through this.