Monday, December 16, 2013

Not that I really have more time...

I haven't really found time, I simply have a nice case of insomnia and a hacking up a lung husband to keep me awake so I thought I would fill in on some of the crazy that has been happening in our lives.

The biggest and most worrisome news is Mom's health.  She had a heart cath last week that showed significant blockages in two arteries.  One of the arteries is a kinked up mess (just strange anatomy on her part) and it would be impossible to stent it.  The other has several blockages as well.  The doctor said he would normally have went ahead and held mom and went through with a bypass surgery but she has so many other factors with the kidney disease that he wanted to run it through for 2nd and 5th opinions of the cardiologist at the mother hospital in Milwaukee.  In the meantime he gave Mom a couple of new meds that have basically given her a moderate headache and made her feel dragged out even more than normal.  Yesterday I was out Christmas shopping, and she called me and told me she fell.  There was no reason to fall, - nothing to trip over etc and I was pretty sure she had blacked out.  I called Hubby, and sent him over to take her blood pressure and check on her.  He believed she blacked out for a second or so because she didn't really know what happened, just that she fell.  When I spoke with the doctor I was hoping to put off surgery until after Christmas, but if she can't safely walk from one room to another I doubt it's a real possibility.

We have managed to pass around a nasty cold the last week.  Last weekend Igor ran a fever for a day or so, he never seemed to be too sick, just a little draggy.  Tuesday the school sent Sonny Boy home from school as he was running a fever and he missed school on Wednesday and Thursday.  Friday Hubby came home from work dragging ass due to fever and today I believe I'm on the downhill slide.  Needless to say bad timing.  I feel like I should be checking on Mom every 2 -3 hours but frankly I've put her in quarantine unless she needs us.  I'll have to over tomorrow and hunt down the verdict from the doctor, maybe I'll wear a surgical mask.

On the plus side the majority of the Christmas shopping got accomplished yesterday.  There are still a few little things to pick up and some online stuff I ordered to come in but it's done.  Now I only need to wrap it.

I received a little promotion at work.  I am now the Tech Services Assistant, which sounds like I'll be very computer oriented and such, not really. My new job will mostly entail cataloging the new books and prepping them for circulation.  The hours will change a little and I'll get a few more hours of work, plus a small pay raise for the step up.  I'm excited about the new change however it has come at a bad time as I must train for a couple of different things, and the hours will change.  When I accepted the job I took it with the idea that the hours I worked outside of the school day Mom would be able to wrangle the boys for the 1 1/2 hours they are out of school before I get home.  Work is understanding as many of the women (and it's all women) have been, or are in the same boat.  All I can do is be there as much as reasonable.  Thankfully I'm not dependent on that income, though it is nice to have a job to go to.

That's all I know for now.  Here I was hoping to have a peaceful boring Christmas this year.  I worry the kids are gonna get a complex that grandparents have a schedule of serious illness and death (FIL passed away last Christmas) at the holidays.






No comments: