Thursday, September 13, 2012

Why is it?

Today Mom was watching some animal rescue show on Animal Planet.  You know them, the over dramatic rescues of neglected animals who are then showered with the best veterinary care, behavior training and then given to more responsible pet owners.

Mom sits entranced by these shows (seems she didn't have Animal Planet on her old cable).  She's a sucker for animals, and I can remember a string of stray animals we took in when I was a child.  While I'm never one to say that animals should be mistreated, starved or otherwise abused the show made me ill.

It wasn't just the over dramatization of the animals situations, or the general production values of the show - frankly that's pretty bad.  What got to me was that at least several times a day shows such as these are on television, but for every dog that is rescued from a miserable existence, every cat that is removed from some "crazy cat lady" there is a child, a real life human child living is conditions similar or worse.

Why do we as Americans, and citizens of the world allow these abuses to happen?  Why do we tear up when we see sad doggy eyes in cage but don't reach out to help the least of these among us?  Why can we spend millions and billions of dollars to fight wars and inspect for illicit weapon caches in other countries but we don't say "LET US INTO YOUR ORPHANAGES AND INSTITUTIONS"  Is not a measure of a society how they treat their most helpless citizens?

I can't pretend to know all the answers to these questions.  I do know that the little faces I left behind in that orphanage in Ukraine haunt me.  Happily I know some of those children have been adopted and I follow their lives via blogs and facebook.  Some I do not know their fates.

I mentioned to Mom I don't care for the animal rescue shows because I know that for every dog that is nursed back to help there are 10 neglected and hungry children somewhere (not fact checked numbers, don't quote me on that).  While I'm not sure she got what I was saying, and how it relates to her own grandson I've been pondering the question all day.

This is my challenge to you.  The next time you are moved my an ASPCA ad, with teary music behind it, showing sad eyed animals in cages, imagine those animals as children.  It's not a hard leap for those of us who have seen it.  If your so moved to donate to the animals, donate to a human animal first.

One of the first charities that come to mind is Reeces Rainbow  Reeces Rainbow tends to work primarily with children with Down Syndrome and other special needs, some of the special needs are simply because the child is "old".   I always get sucked into the sight when I wander over there and found this little guy.

.

Ian #69-1


DOB: 2005
Diagnosis:
Marfan Syndrome
Ian was raised by his birth family until he was 19 months old. He was placed in a baby orphanage at that time. When he was 3 years old, he was transferred to an orphanage for older children, where he still lives.
Ian has Marfan syndrome, which is a hereditary condition passed to him through his birth mother’s side of the family. He has left-convex scoliosis, a prescription for glasses and is slightly anemic. He has no other physical symptoms associated with Marfan syndrome at this time. At 6 years old, he weighs 41 pounds and is 44 inches tall. Psychological testing does not indicate any significant delays or disabilities.
When he entered the orphanage, he had a very sad and depressed personality. After being transferred to the orphanage for older children, he began attending a mainstreamed daycare program in the local village and his mood and personality quickly improved. He is now much more confident and follows the directions of the staff. He enjoys being a helper and will assist the younger children with tasks. He enjoys helping out at the orphanage as well and will help pick up toys and set the table for meal time. He interacts well with other children at the orphanage and at the daycare. He loves to draw and has recently become interested in memorizing poems and songs. He likes to watch cartoons. He knows all his colors and can count to 10. He knows the seasons and the days of the week.


His diagnosis is not all that scary, In fact it is in the same family of connective tissue disorder that Igor has.  If Ian here piques your interest please contact Reece's Rainbow.  I would if our home circumstances were different.  Mind you I don't know what country Ian is in, Reece's Rainbow works in several Eastern European countries and in Asia as well.

1 comment:

Lin said...

It's easier to ignore the children because we think there are adults looking out for them, while that may not be necessarily true. I've seen those rescue shows and I always like the happy endings for most of the animals they show. Sometimes, there are sad ones, but, for the most part, the animal gets cleaned up and a good home. Humans aren't so easily fixed up.

Maybe that is why she likes them--there are happy endings.