Sunday, September 23, 2012

Little of This, a Little of That

Not much to report on, I suppose that's good because I can really use a break from drama lately.  Why I'm even bother to put up a blog post I don't know, I suppose the three people that faithfully read the blog might be interested in what's happening.

Last reported Mom and I both had nasty colds.  Mine is slowly abating, though I wish it would speed up a little.  Mom's morphed into some nasty chest congestion my guess bronchitis.  Mom had a doctor appointment scheduled on Friday for a simple check on everything which was good timing.  The doctor gave her some antibiotics and an inhaler for her cough and that's helped some.  The doctor also added another anti-depressant to her meds and I hope to see some improvement there in a few days.  The logical part of my mind understands that Mom doesn't really see that there is a problem with her behavior.  The rest of me lets it get under my skin and when I still see her in pajamas at 2:00 pm I'm ready to pin her down and dress her like I used to the boys when they were toddlers.  When I contrast Mom with Hubby's Grandma who is 92 it's like night and day.  Grandma has all the will and gumption to get up and go do stuff and her body won't let her, while Mom has no will and gumption and her body will let her do things.  I wish my mother would be more like Grandma.

Hubby is like a bad house guest this month.  Home for a few days, gone for a few days, home for few days.  Yuck, just long enough home to get his underwear washed, throw us out our "no dad routine" and then he's off to his next quest.  This week he leaves for France for a week.  Originally I had been planning to tag along on this trip (for years I had been planning on tagging along) but the lack of vacation time, Father-in-Law's illness and just general not knowing what to do about kid logistics, flights, and the whole thing we wrote off me going along.  To be honest I'm more than a little peeved, though it's nobody's fault.  When Hubby gets back from France, the next weekend he intends to load up Sonny Boy and meet Father-in-Law, Brother-in-Law and Nephew #1 in North Dakota for a few days of duck hunting.  Technically Sonny Boy is too young to hunt, however with FIL's illness he's going this year regardless.  Honestly we didn't think FIL would even be around this long, much less be up for going out to North Dakota.  I doubt FIL will do much hunting, though Hubby plans on putting him in a boat and dragging him around if needed.

Sonny Boy is probably the busiest person in the house.  Days at school, three evenings a week at football practice, mixed in with scout meetings, homework and Saturday football games and the kid's calendar is full.  I do my best not over schedule him but somehow things take on a life of their own.  Sonny Boy's football team did win their first game this Saturday 10-0.  Sonny Boy started out the game with a good solid tackle on the other team's running back.  I also taped one play on the phone and under further review we saw a really good block out of him on a kick return that allowed the ball carrier an extra 15 yards or so.  I wish it wasn't such a nightmare to actually film the games, we'd likely see more good things out of Sonny Boy but we often get so wrapped up in watching the ball and what's happening there we don't see the grunt work he's putting in on the line.  Either way he's having fun and learning football.  I don't see NFL in the future but maybe he'll get to play varsity HS some day.

Igor is trucking along.  He is really liking kindergarten (and so am I)  Igor's attitude has been a little nasty lately though but I'm chalking it up to all the changes with school and the like.  It's not horrible, just enough to get on everybody's nerves.  Soon I hope to sign him up for some swim lessons at the indoor pool.  I decided to skip the fall sessions in hopes of life settling down - yeah right - but in all fairness he should be able to pursue something outside of school too and since swimming is about the only sport he'll ever be able to compete in we should get him swimming like a person and not a tadpole.

As for me, busy, busy, being nurse, maid, driver, cook and every other hat you can imagine.  This weekend I put on my gardener hat and mowed the lawn, weed-eated, weeded flower beds that were woefully neglected the last month or two and generally started getting things ready for fall.  The leaves will soon start falling and I'll have that task to tackle but for now I'm going to pretend they will stay on the trees forever.  Mowing didn't do me any good though as I discovered that bum foot is not happy when forced to trod over our sloping yard over and over again.  This is the first time I've mown since I sprained that foot and I wish I hadn't pushed it now, should have made Hubby do it and I will likely for the final mow of the season. 

A little of this, a little of that.  Nothing earth shattering, just dull life.  Not a problem with it at all, I'll take it.

1 comment:

Lin said...

I'm still reading!! :)

Life sounds crazy there! I think I'd be okay with the kids and even with the husband coming and going...but your mom. Ugh. I know she is sick, but that would frustrate me too.

Hang in there, pally!