Friday, April 29, 2011

Strange things that pop into my head

Last night I locked myself into the bathroom to take care of basic girl maintenance issues. You know the kind, shave here, pluck there, clip toenails etc. I had strange flashback in time and made me start wondering "What ever happened to..."

To tell this story I must give you a little background though. When I was in college I worked the automotive department at the local Wal-Mart. Late one evening like 9:30 or 10:00 as I was finishing up my jobs for the night a couple of girls in their late teens/early twenties stopped me and asked a question. Nothing new, I was asked where things were like 2345 times a night. However this one was odd, the girls asked me where they could find a facial hair bleaching kit. Well I worked in AUTOMOTIVE, I knew exactly where the turtle wax was and I was really good at figuring out which car battery or oil filter you needed, but the only thing I knew about the cosmetic department was where it was. Of course I told them to look there as we stood near the tire display. The conversation continued that they had already looked there and there were no bleaching kits. Being girl talk I advised that they had waxing kits there (not turtle wax) but they didn't want to do that as the one girl, who really did need to do something with that mustache, was going to get married the next morning, and she didn't want to risk her upper lip being red. Well it was late and a small town with nothing else open so I wished her luck and went on.

Last night that popped into my head and I got to wondering if the bride to be walked down the aisle with fuzz on her upper lip. Then I wondered "Who in their right mind doesn't realize they should do something about their "she-stache" further out than the night before her wedding" Really? I'm sure Kate Middleton polished, buffed, shaved, waxed and whatever other treatment that could be dreamed of before her big shin-dig today. Heck even I made sure my woolly eyebrows were tame a week or so before my rather humble nuptials. See strange things pop into my head.

Last night I started reading a book about 8:30 or so. It wasn't a thick book but it engrossed me and I finished the last page at 3:00 am this morning. The book was "Never Let Me Go" by Kazuo Ishiguro. Definitely worth the read, I hope your able to put it down and sleep.

Since I finished the book just as the royal wedding coverage was starting I flipped it on (I wanted to see it but hadn't really planned to get up that early for it) and became engrossed in the amount of crazy hats the wedding guests were wearing. Really, I LOVE HATS, I wish we Americans would take them up a little bit but some of those creations were un-real! I'm sure the designers got their ideas from Dr. Suess books.

I watched the wedding hoopla till around 7:00 am and decided I should really try to sleep a little so I crawled in the guest bed downstairs and managed to get about an hour of sleep before the kids and hubby were up and making racket. Yeah I'm running on one hour of sleep today, wonder how I'm gonna be holding up at 3pm?

The dishwasher died yesterday as well. Yay (in a very sarcastic tone) Hubby took it apart and looked at and determined it needed a new keypad, easily fixed but the part is $150 and the gasket around the door leaks some. So now we are weighing the benefits of spending $150 on a machine that works well but leaks a little (I'm talking like two tablespoons of water a load) or just going and buying a new machine. In the meantime I'm back to hand washing dishes and that sucks.

Happy day

No comments: