Monday, April 25, 2011

We are SO gonna win parents of the year award...

We are SO gonna win parents of the year award. Ha Ha, not likely. No we haven't done anything to scar our children for life like kill a rabbit and tell them it was the Easter Bunny or completely just forget about Easter Bunny hoopla. We did sleep through it however. Yeah I know, not one picture of smiling chocolate covered faces or running through the yard hunting eggs. Nothing. Saturday night I was assembling the baskets and determined they were rather anemic so I ran to Walgreens and just barely made it in five minutes before closing. Grabbing a few items of basket junk I streaked home and finished filling the baskets with enough sugar to put the kids into a diabetic coma. We were awakened by excited kids at some ungodly hour annoucing that the Easter Bunny had come, we proclaimed that was great and rolled over. Fifteen minutes later hopped up on sugar Sonny Boy comes in and declares that the Easter Bunny had left eggs on the roofing material in the yard. Hubby groggily tells them they could go get them, I rolled over. We hear the kids scrambling into clothes (hey at least the didn't go out in pajamas) and run to the yard to grab the loot. A little while later they were back in the upstairs hallway opening eggs and counting jelly beans. Somewhere about this time I managed to haul my carcase out of bed and see the damage. Sonny Boy had managed to consume somewhere in the neighborhood of 10 pounds of sugar, Igor about 5 pounds. I declare a moratorium on sugar consumption and stagger to the kitchen to come up with the least sweet thing I could think of for breakfast. Hubby soon staggers down after me and we begin the nightmare of getting ready for church.

After the craziness that ensues when trying to get all four of us out the door decently dressed and on time we pile in the van and make the corner of the lot. Littered in the front yard we see some opened eggs and a note that very clearly said "Igor" on it that had identified which basket belonged to whom. Now I KNOW that the Easter Bunny had only hidden eggs in the side yard which is fenced in so I can imagine the mayhem that was ensuing while we snoozed and the kids egg hunted in the lawn. I'm sure the neighbors were wondering where the hell we were.

Even with our unnoticed absence Easter went well. We managed to get to church and I cooked a ham for supper. We have a lot of ham now. The ham was a part of a 1/2 pig we purchased after Christmas and we figured we should make use of it instead of letting it sit in the freezer until doomsday. So if your in the mood for a ham sandwich come on over, we are stocked well in that department for several weeks.

Sonny Boy is on Spring Break this week, I'm on jury duty. Luckily I didn't have to go in today, I'll know about tomorrow this evening. I wrangled both kids to the optical shop today and got Igor some new glasses on order. His current ones have taken quite a beating lately and they were el cheapo's from Zenni. Igor's Rx is so strong which equals thick, that he has rather sharp edges and he has at least three fresh cuts (they are small) from his glasses. The new ones will be much thinner and I think will stay up on his nose better as they have a different bridge AND cable temples that wrap around his ear as well. Thank Goodness for vision insurance, the glasses without insurance would have been $500 +, with insurance the total came to $209. Still not cheap but a whole lot better. While at the optical shop I made an appointment for myself for next week to be evaluated for Lasik. Honestly I'm scared snotless by the whole idea but I think they'll give me a valium or something for the procedure. I know I have to be at least somewhat awake but I don't really want to be thinking clearly. I'd love to lose my glasses. We'll see how that goes. Our insurance pays a good chunk of the surgery and since we've spent so much money on medical this year might as well push it and see if we'll meet the percentage for an income tax write off.

Hope your easter was good. This is the part I'd post a sweet picture of the boys with their baskets dressed in their precious Easter clothes. But now you know it's not simple laziness of not posting the pictures.

1 comment:

shaantio said...

Big B got Lasik a few years back. He says it's the best thing that he's ever done. He was pretty loopy from the Valium and said the whole keeping-your-eyes-open-while-they're-burning-them wasn't too bad. I got to watch - it was pretty amazing.