Thursday, May 10, 2012

Beep, Bop, Ding!

I guess it all started with the washing machine we purchased a few years ago.  When it finishes a cycle it plays a little tune to let you know it's done.   Then we got  a new microwave/venthood.  The microwave beeps with every button you push and of course beeps when the time is up.  The stove does the same for the timer and oven buttons.  The real chaos started though with a new coffee pot.  I purchased the coffee pot last year at the thrift store for the camper.  Well our house coffee maker was just not working all that well so when the camper came out of storage I went and switched the two out.  The new coffee pot now beeps at the end of making a pot, and when it turns it's self off after two hours which honestly seems random.  Now we have the new dishwasher and it dings at end of it's cycle.  Add to all these dingers the silly little electronic game Sonny Boy has that has to be fed or some such nonsense at random times throughout the day and there is a virtual symphony of beeps, bongs and dings going on in the house.

I've revolted though.  I muted the buttons on the microwave.  I just figured out there is a mute button on the dishwasher and it's getting mashed too.  I wish I could do the oven, I really don't need it to beep every time I raise the temp 25 degrees, I can read the screen.  The coffee pot is soon next, but I don't know if there is such an option.  I know the washing machine has such a feature, however without the little tune I'd forget I was doing laundry and never get up to start another load.

The bad part?  The kids and I are the only ones who can hear all the beeps, and dings.  Hubby's hearing is going after so many years of airplane engines and rivet guns and I guess Mom's is age.  In the meantime I'll keep asking " What was that ding?" and waiting on a random child to tell me which appliance is letting me know it's finished.

1 comment:

Lin said...

Criminy, that would drive me crazy. Everybody's got a voice these days! ;) Ugh.