Monday, August 31, 2009

Wow a busy week...

There has still not been a memorial service/funeral for my father. The last conversation I had with my aunt things were still in the air and they were trying to schedule it for this coming weekend though I haven't heard anything yet. I plan on attending, but I think it's more to close that chapter in my life than an actual goodbye to him - that happened many years ago.



Sonny Boy started kindergarten on Monday. His teacher Mrs. H seems really good though I haven't gotten to know her very well yet. Sonny Boy is liking school and seems content and asks if he will attend this school till he's in HS, the entire school district is on one big campus so he sees band practice and football practice on a regular basis out his windows. The kids don't interact of course with the older grades but they see the big kids around. Sonny Boy is also playing soccer in the local leagues as well. He knows nothing about soccer but likes the idea and runs around a bit, he got his t-shirt and game schedule today. I've got to hunt him a pair of black shorts, that should be fun to find this time of year.

Sonny Boy First Day of Kindergarten

This weekend we attended a fundraiser the next little town over with a guy Hubby works with. It was mouse racing of all things, seems to be quite the attraction for fundraising for the area I understand. Picture a large box with a plexi-glass front and runs about 10-15 feet long they put the mice (really rats) in the runs and open the door, the first one to the end wins and you place your bet. Not one of the mice we bet on won, or even went over the finish line for that matter, they would scurry half way and then hunch up in a little ball and just stop, maddening! However we broke even for the night with our admittance fee and wild betting when Hubby won a door prize for $50. It was really quite funny when he won the door prize as you could see looks of "Who the heck is that?" and lots of shrugged shoulders when the name was called through the hall. Though lots of people of were there It was the type of place where everyone knows everyone else. Hubby's co-worker's daughter babysat the boys. Igor showed the first signs of separation anxiety we've seen from him and when we explained to the kids what was going to happen at supper he pouted and told us "me stay home, Mommy!" even though he had been over to their house earlier in the day and was familiar with the place. He did good though but Sonny Boy got concerned when we were not home by 10:00 as he thought that was the middle of the night and shed a few tears. That's the first time he's done that. New place, new people, tons of new changes in their little lives but they did well. I also don't think the babysitter inspired a lot of confidence in Sonny Boy and that played a role in the anxiety as well.

We also attended a house warming open house for another co-worker of Hubby's who just built a new house near us. Let's just say I have a severe case of house envy. While the house wasn't terribly large it was very well thought out and had a closet any woman would kill for. Our rent house was the running joke with both couples over the weekend as the men had helped unload the moving truck, while they realize it's a temp measure being in that nicely decorated, designed new house made this one seem even worse.

I have an Eldin - you know Murphy Brown's permanent house painter. Well it seems I've gained John a live in plumber. Our landlords being forward thinking decided to have the boiler checked out before actually needed it and had John sent over last Friday. John went in the basement and fixed a couple of plumbing woes that have significantly improved the nightmare that was my basement (it no longer smells like sewer) and there is no longer a sewer smell in bathroom either because some numb skull did not put a p-trap on the bathtub and my friend John fixed that. Those were the quick fixes and he had those done by noon and then he started on the boiler and baseboard heat and ran into trouble - lots of trouble. It seems that the house froze last winter and there are at least 14 breaks in hot water line that runs in the baseboard heat. Two days he has been my constant companion, in and out, and up and down my basement stairs shoving my furniture around and has still not completed the job and is due back in tomorrow. Poor guy I can tell he's really getting aggravated with the process and he says it's the biggest mess he's ever seen. I'm just really glad this disaster is not on my dime. I know the landlords bought the place on a foreclosure so they were likely expecting these kind of issues.

Tomorrow along with John the resident plumber I also expect the school psycologist and social worker to be here in the a.m. to start writing Igor's IEP in the local dialect. I'm sure they are going to be impressed with all of my furniture shoved to the middle of the rooms, dirty wet carpet around the walls not to mention I still have boxes stacked here and there I haven't quite known what to do with due to the nasty smelling basement. All I can do is smile though and offer them a cup of coffee I suppose, at least they'll know we'll have heat (hopefully if John doesn't run away) when it gets cool enough to turn it on.

The house in Wisconsin still has no bites yet though traffic has picked up. Hopefully something will happen soon. I've told hubby we are going to walk the two miles to the mexican joint with Igor in the stroller when the house sells so we can drink LOTS of margaritas. Can you get a ticket for drunk stroller driving?

I suppose that's the scoop here in Kornfield Kounty, IL, Where the tires on the trucks are big and the women are too - I'm not exaggerating.


No comments: