Thursday, October 30, 2014

Pulled the plug

As of last Friday I am officially unemployed.  My crazy mother gave me the most gracious excuse for quitting ever that saved face all around.

As I told before I handed in notice to the director citing the crazy micromanaging behavior of my supervisor.  Director asked me to reconsider and she would discuss with supervisor and it could decide at the end of week if supervisor was trying to be more likeable.  To be fair, supervisor may have been sugar sweet but by now I just couldn't stand to be there anymore and was going to finalize things, however director was out for the day.  I was talking to a co-worker about situation (she was aware previously of my unhappiness) and the crazy behavior of my mother that I had just discovered was waiting 40 minutes early for the kids to get out of school (hubby was getting off work early and said he'd pick them up) bizarre being there that early.  Anyhow mom decided to come to my workplace, pulled into the parking lot, hit the gas instead of the brake, jumped a curbed divider bed in parking lot and sheared a 12 foot tall bush off at the ground.  How she managed not to hit a car or person is a miracle.  Police were called, reports were filed, yada yada.

Citing mom as the reason I was able to make a graceful exit with a good public story, though a few co-workers and director know this is only some of the reason.  The two people who would be in a position there to move into my job have flatly refused. Both with elegant excuses, but I know one is because she doesn't want to work for supervisor.

Either way it's worked out.  Mom is having some bizarre stuff health wise going on and her confusion is growing noticeably worse, even to her.  She has a neurologist appt soon and we will see how that plays out.  Sonny Boy was able to attend an after school activity that he is really thrilled about but couldn't before because I really needed him to walk his little brother home from school.  Igor's violin teacher was happy as his lesson could be moved up to a more reasonable time.  Not to mention Hubby's job called him down to Arkansas unexpectedly today with only a few hours notice to catch a flight.  My stress level has gone from a +10 to a manageable 5 or so.

It's funny I've never had whole days to myself before.  When Igor finally went to kindergarten mom had moved in, when she moved out I was working.  Sure I had my off days during the week but they were spent running errands, and attending doctor appointments with mom.  I almost don't know what to do with myself.  Haha. Not really.

2 comments:

Lin said...

Oh boy. Well...I'm really sorry about your mom, but I'm glad that you can just focus on taking care of her now.

I don't understand why we have to be polite when there is an a-hole in the workplace. Don't you wish you could just be honest about the nutball?

Anonymous said...

So glad that your stress level is more manageable now. Hope that they can find out what can help your mother.