Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Tooth Fairy Fail

 

My children have the World's Worst Tooth Fairy.  Not only did she not deliver for Igor's tooth last week but she also neglected Sonny Boy as well.  As I type this, I have several one dollar bills drying with "tooth fairy dust" on the table along with a letter from "Toothie" explaining that she was on vacation to the Fairy-land Islands.  The letter is signed in glitter of course.  Oh she also sprinkled fairy dust on the dog's head - I'm pretty sure the dog isn't amused.

Really I think all this is a little much for nasty little chunks of white enamel.  I'm pretty sure Sonny Boy is in on all the Tooth Fairy, Santa Claus, Easter Bunny gig but doesn't want to give it up for fear of not getting "the goods".  I'm pretty sure I had it figured out by the time I was 10 years old.  Igor on the other hand buys it hook line and sinker.  I sometimes wonder if Sonny Boy plays along for Igor's benefit, but since he rarely pulls punches with his little brother I somehow doubt it. 



I googled a little to see how the tooth fairy stuff started, seems it didn't really take off until the 1920's or so and really became entrenched in the 50's with the baby boomers.  Why in the world did anyone think it was such a great idea I'll never know.  Frankly our tooth fairy is forgetful and often has to up her ante for being late.  It seems our tooth fairy is not the only one with this issue as my SIL reports the same issue with hers.  Maybe it's something to do with our family?

This will go down in family lore - How the tooth fairy was always a day or two late and we'll laugh and laugh.  Hey, at least Santa still comes on time.

1 comment:

Lin said...

Oops. Been there. I've been known to slip the dollar in there while trying to help the little find the loot from the Tooth Fairy. I'd like to kick whoever thought of the idea of money for losing teeth.