Saturday, December 15, 2012

Not the Most Wonderful Time of the Year

Hubby flew out Tuesday and got to his hometown by late afternoon.  FIL is still holding on but by a thread.  The pain is increasing as are the doses of morphine.  Hubby and his sister have rarely left FIL's side since early in the week, taking shifts to sleep.  Hubby did do a quick overnight run for work but was gone only around 24 hours.  While gone SIL reported that FIL stopped breathing for long bits several times in the night and then started breathing again.  I've jumped every time my phone has rang this week thinking that's it, but it's not.  It sounds terrible but now we are just waiting, and honestly I hope FIL can pass peacefully without undo pain.

In the meantime I've gotten all the Christmas shopping done, and just finished wrapping it.  Take a piece of advice DO NOT BUY GLITTER WRAPPING PAPER.  It looks gorgeous, but what a nightmare.  Tape doesn't stick to it, the glitter is EVERYWHERE.  I'm sure I'll be trying to get the red glitter up next September.

This week has been a whirlwind.  With normal holiday crazy, and making sure we are able to run out of town for a week or longer with only a day or so notice I've been exhausted.  Things I can normally spread out need to be done now.  I've been so preoccupied that Christmas has really snuck up on me.  In fact Mom was the one who pointed out to me that we needed to get the Christmas stuff wrapped and ready since we were planning Christmas with the in-laws long before FIL became hour to hour.  If we leave now we will likely be gone until Christmas break is over.  Hubby will be as surprised as the kids when they open their presents because he doesn't have a clue what's in the box either.  Granted I'm usually the one doing the shopping, but he does normally take a gander at what I pick up and sometimes picks up some stuff himself.

With hindsight being 20/20 I'm glad Hubby went ahead north and left the kids here.  A week of missed school, wrestling practices, swimming lessons and a "concert" at the senior center by Igor's class would have been sorely missed.  FIL is in a state now that it's not wise for the boys to see him anymore so we might as well keep their schedule as normal as possible in the meantime.

Well I gotta go tackle that glitter mess on the dining room table and put away the wrapping paraphernalia.  It's 1:30 am and I've been on "go" since about 11:00 am yesterday.

1 comment:

Lin said...

I was writing cards for work and all that glitter was all over me for days. Seriously--what a pain! It's on your face, in your hair, on your clothes. Ugh.

Wishing you the best this holiday season with all that you have going on!